Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 1 of 34

version 15.1. R2 manual full scan does not scan all files

Jump to solution

I was recently updated to version 15.1 R2 of Internet security on Windows 7.    I do regular full virus scans on both PCs.  When I did a manual full scan on the PCs after the update, the number of files scanned was significantly less than the number scanned before the update.  On one PC,   after the update date the total  and number of files were 37908.    But before the update, the total items scanned was 185,008 and number of files was 172,844.  There were also registry items scanned before the update, but I did not note the number.  So why does the new version only scan about 20% of the files?  Note I did specifically request a full scan, not a quick scan.   Second PC had a similar reduction in number of files: 58937 after the update and 272,242 before the update.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 34

Re: version 15.1. R2 manual full scan does not scan all files

Jump to solution

Yes..As I am waiting myself   Could you kindly mark this as Correctly Answered please?

As for the methodology, it is considered to be much more safer to *Block* files (before) they have a chance to install, opposed to scanning for them afterwards.

Thank you

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

33 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 34

Jump to solution

This is due to the New Next Generation Scanning Engine. Your software now scans in areas where malicious programs are susceptible to install. Hence will scan files as they are being accessed,which improves over-all system performance.

You will also notice to schedule a scan it is in a different location than previously. to locate it open your McAfee UI/Navigation/Scroll down to Scheduled Scan/Expand and set.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 3 of 34

Jump to solution

I was not interested in a scheduled scan, since that only does a quick scan.

Is there no way to force a scan of every file anymore?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 34

Jump to solution

Unfortunately not.  However you can right click on a file and scan it individually. The layered protection is designed to detect and block a malicious file upon access,and blocking it before it is installed.

I realize it takes some time to get accustomed to,however I have been running this Version/Build since last October and all has been fine.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 5 of 34

Jump to solution

That is too bad.  Now the malicious hackers will figure out the areas that McAfee thinks are not susceptible and do their damage there.

I am not about to right click on all the files in the system, just to do a scan.

And, doesn't this make windows backups slower, since that does access most files?  I regularly did a full scan to be sure the files are clean before the backup.  Now the backups took a much longer time..

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 34

Jump to solution

Again we are still protected just another methodology. It is better to prevent files from being able to install on your computer by blocking them initially,opposed to scanning to see if some have. In addition to our Virus protection we have a robust  Personal Firewall that blocks incoming and outgoing files/processes.

Plus Web Advisor to scan our Downloads.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Octopus
Contributor III
Message 7 of 34

Jump to solution

I want to ask something because I think it pertains to the same issue.

In the past when I would do a full scan it would scan all of my 400,000 files on my computer in about 45 minutes.

But the other day when I did a full scan it would only scan like 56,000 of my files and it takes over an hour to do so!

Is this because of some sort of update with the Mcafee or what? I'm not sure if mine was updated or not. I'm not exactly sure which version I have. I just notice that the MVT logo looks different on my toolbar.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 34

Jump to solution

TS102597 Feature comparisons between the 2016 and 2017 Windows Security Suites (TS102597)

You can find out what Version/Build you have by opening your McAfee UI/Click on about.

Of course the New installer will eventually upgrade everyone to the 15.1r2 (Blue) GUI in the near future.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Octopus
Contributor III
Message 9 of 34

Jump to solution

Oh yeah it says I have the 15.1 R2

Oh. Well I guess it will take some getting used to. I thought something was wrong the way it only scanned a portion of my files.

BTW I love the new shield logo. It loos so cool on my black toolbar.

Untitled.jpg

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 34

Jump to solution

I am jealous!   LOL...Everyone says that ,yet I have yet to recieve it. Can we now consider this answered?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community