cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 1 of 10

value certificate from class action williamson vs. mcafee

We received a postcard that we were a member of the auto renewal class receiving a value certificate for $11.50 that can be applied to auto-renewals.

I went to the referenced web site and entered email and password for our account and it said:  "you don't have any subscriptions set up for auto renewal to which you can apply the value  certificate.  If you want to use your value certificate to purchase new subscriptions, click continue shopping."

But we do have auto renewal set up for three PCs for Internet Security. Why notify us, if we are not eligible?  We have not changed the account in several years.

I called support.  The  agent seemed to imply it was our problem, not theirs and he looked up our account and said yes we have auto renewal but there is an error  and he would extend our subscription for 60 days beyond its current expiration date.

I disagreed  that is was not our error and he talked to some supervisor and returned with information that we had an old version, Internet Security with 3 licenses  and not Internet Security with unlimited licenses.   Nothing in postcard said we needed unlimited licenses. And as far as I know, we are running a current version.

A supervisor is supposed to call back tomorrow.  There is a bug somewhere!

9 Replies
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Re: value certificate from class action williamson vs. mcafee

I understand that this website has links, such as FAQs and Contact Us, that should answer your questions:

http://www.mcafeewilliamsonsettlement.com/

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 3 of 10

FAQs on that site do not give any detail as to types of auto renewal that qualify.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

This can't be discussed here.  You'll have to phone Customer Service and have them investigate.  We can't help with the majority of account issues anyway.
I would also imagine that only that company can talk to you about the contents of that web page.  Here's the link for McAfee:

Customer Service

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 5 of 10

ok, but as noted in original post, I did call support and they did not have an explanation and I am waiting for callback from supervisor.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

OK, good luck.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 7 of 10

Supervisor called back.  It seems the class action settlement only lets you apply the value certificate to products available from 2015/2016.  At that time, Internet Security for 3 licenses was replaced by Internet Security for Multiple Devices.  So the value certificate can only be applied to the newer product. 

For older products they are only offering a 60 day extension of current subscription, which is worth slightly more than $11.50 in my case.

Would have been nice if web site had been able to tell me about that alternative, instead of telling me I did not have a subscription that the certificate could be applied to.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

I guess those lawyers like to keep people guessing.   Glad you got an answer anyway.

Can you mark this one answered then?

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 9 of 10

will do.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Thanks and good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community