Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 13

Re: unknown network automatically added

To be honest I've always let SecurityCenter set it's own parameters in that section and haven't ever questioned it.  I guess I would if I thought I had some serious malware issues but until then I just leave it well alone.

Wuggy
Former Member
Message 12 of 13

Re: @ Newjack

Hey Newjack,

``...I have a trusted i.p between 2 certain numbers i wasn't sure about.If anyone else has this or knows the answer can you reply.(trusted i.p addresses)...``

I assume you mean the entry for the "network" between your computer and your router (e.g., looks similar to 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255). That entry is fine.  Leave it alone. (grin)

Anecdotally, my opinion is that your home network should always be considered "Public" and NOT trusted by McAfee Firewall. It`s too easy otherwise for some degenerate to hack the router and pose as a member of your subnet in order to access shared material or worse.

As for fe80::/10, Ex_Brit is probably right: it is probably okay.  It's probably tied to one of the Mcafee components on your system that need to talk to a McAfee server (computer) from time to time. But users still deserve some kind of explanation imo.

Regards

on 10/02/10 4:18:16 CST PM

Message was edited by: Wuggy on 10/02/10 4:19:41 CST PM

Message was edited by: Wuggy on 10/02/10 4:21:27 CST PM
fasttrack80
Former Member
Message 13 of 13

Re: unknown network automatically added

Peter, thanks for the info! I removed fe80::/10 two days ago and have not noticed any problems or performance issues. I agree that it is most likely harmless. Thank You

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community