cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bighauler
Former Member
Message 11 of 38

Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"

Jump to solution

I had this happen to me yesterday when McAfee updated.  I tried virtual technician and it would not fix it.  I had the same things happening.  The red attention warning came up.  The real time scanning turned off and when I would go to put it on, it would only work for a few seconds before it kicked off again.  The live chat would not work either.  I did do phone assistance directly with McAfee and they took over my computer via remote, but they only had limited access.  They could not get it to actually take over completely, so over the phone, they were telling me what to push.  We finally got the real time scanning to stay on successfully.  Prior to calling, I also could not scan for a virus either because I was freaking out thinking that I had a virus when the red attention popped up.  I was on the phone with them over an hour.  That McShield message still pops up every time I open the internet browser.  I finally had to cut McAfee short because I had to go to work, and as long as I could get it to scan, at that point, I was satisified with that in my limited time.  It is still driving me crazy with that error message though when I open the browser, so if anyone finds out how to get rid of it, let me know!

heinzsf
Former Member
Message 12 of 38

Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"

Jump to solution

Well, at least I can start breathing again, finally had saved up enough money to get my new computer a week ago, and then 10/27/2012 this thing hits me out of the blue, some communities are already talking malware, trojan, virus, DOOMSDAY.  So the idea of McAfee having run an update with the resulting faux pas occuring to myself & others is more along the lines of reasonable.  Nevertheless, here's the irony:  Until a week ago I was running Windows XP Home Edition on a Pentium 4, with a free antivirus program compliments Major Geeks.  Although I was kind of envious of my friends with Intel Core i5s and i7s, never had a problem.

Then, yesterday, as I was moving about on my machine my status as administrator was challenged, I mean if it ain't me, who is it then?  A Goblin?

I will continue to follow the issue with interest, just to confirm, here's the message I am getting every time I open a new tab in IE:

Common Shell: McShield.dll The specified resource language ID can not be found in the image file.  The system can not find the specified file.

The Truth, nothing but the Truth, so help me my conscience:

http://front.moveon.org/brilliant-a-simpsons-animator-works-his-magic-on-a-rousing-obama-speech/?rc=...

draughtsman
Former Member
Message 13 of 38

Jump to solution

Update = This took up 2 solid days of my time. The issue mutated into a 'White Box' issue where upon opening up McAfee instead of the normal McAfee Security Window with the various protections showing it just opened a white rectangle instead of ec=xactly the same sze. I assumed that a language dll had got corupted by the McAfee update and so I gave in and decide to reinstall McAfee (BT NetProtect Plus).  My thinking was thatif the language ID was missing then none of the McAfee displays would know what windows to pop up so it just gave the White Rectangle. I tried to uninstall using Control Panel Uninstall Programs but when I clicked on BT NetProtect Plus it just gave the white rectangle. I tried next Virtual Technician. Because I obtained McAfee as BT Netrotect Plus from my ISP BTYahoo, McAfee Virtual Technician would not recognise any of the three McAfee products I had on my PC.  I knew the BT reinstaller uninstalls porevious versions so I ran a new install and sure enough it removed the old one.  But, as suspected, it did not remove everything and did not cure th issue.  I couldn't get through to McAfeeI Technical Help and BT Technical Help were closed. In the end I asked my pal who is a Infrastructur Manager to help.  He Teamviewered in and used MPRE McAfee uninstaller to uninstall McAfe, he then removed the other two McAfee products (Family Protection and Security Centre).  He then manually went through the registers deleting appropriate (to him) items - he knew what he was doing.  He finally checked Windows Explorer to ensure all files had been removed.  Then I reinstalled BT NetProtect Plus and it all works fine now.  Can I have the liost 2 days of my life back now.   Thank you McAfee for such a helpful download.

I don't believe that McAfee would provide a download that damaged the majority of its customers so I have to assme it was something perculiar about how the download occurred in my cas.  The only thing that makes sense is that I did too much updating together i.e. Windows updates, Adobe updates amnd McAfee updtes before doing a restart.  Next tiome I'll stick to one set and resyart more often.

Hope this helps y'all

dddoc2469
Former Member
Message 14 of 38

Jump to solution

I have the same problems with Windows 7 64bit and Internet Explorer 8. Started with 10/27 update. The default browser on my system is Internet Explorer 32 bit. Perhaps of interest to McAfee techs (hopefully trying to deal with this) is that the error message re: McShield

does not appear when I run Internet Explorer 8 64 bit does not appear.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 15 of 38

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Those who are having this issue kindly check the McAfee Site Advisor Version and update it on the thread. We need to check this issue by disabling the script proxy add-on for site advisor. Please follow my steps below to disable the script proxy and update the versions of Site Advisor. Thanks,

• Open Internet Explorer
  • Go to Tool at the Top
  • Open Manage Add ons
  • Check for Script Proxy and Disable it
  • Restart the Internet Explorer and check with the Issue

To get the Site Advisor  version

• Open McAfee Security Center
  • Click on About which is at the top right corner
  • Scroll down and check the Site Advisor Version
dddoc2469
Former Member
Message 16 of 38

Jump to solution

I disabled the site advisor. I restarted Internet Explorer and the issue had not resolved.

Site Advisor Version 3.4

Build 3.4.1.195

I am not having this problem on my other computer. It runs Windows XP SP 3 and Internet Explorer 8. The version and build of the McAfee Site Advisor on that machine is the same.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 17 of 38

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the try, but SA 3.4 is not the current version, please uninstall the Site Advisor then restart the computer and check with your issue. If it works reinstall the Site Advisor from www.siteadvisor.com and check with the issue.

To Uninstall Site Advisor:

• Go to Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs
  • Check for McAfee Security and double click on it to open
  • Once the Uninstaller screen opens, select Site Advisor alone from Browser Protection and click on remove
  • Once Site Advisor alone removed, restart the computer
  • Check with the Issue

Note : Deselect the McAfee Security from the Uninstaller Screen

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 38

Jump to solution

dddoc2469 wrote:

I have the same problems with Windows 7 64bit and Internet Explorer 8. Started with 10/27 update. The default browser on my system is Internet Explorer 32 bit. Perhaps of interest to McAfee techs (hopefully trying to deal with this) is that the error message re: McShield

does not appear when I run Internet Explorer 8 64 bit does not appear.

Try upgrading IE to IE9 to see if it continues.

dddoc2469
Former Member
Message 19 of 38

Jump to solution

Removing Site Advisor did not correct. Updating Site Advisor to Version 3.5 did not correct the problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 38

Jump to solution

Let's see what Karthiks says.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community