Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kric
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

new McAfee Security Centre (red shield) Vista blues

this update sucks

it has frozen my Vista

it gives me a green 'all clear' message then the red shield icon at the bottom of my screen tells me there are issues: click on it to find out what is going on - zilch - the pc is frozen. have spent over an hour trying to access my emails, McAfee has frozen everything. this misery began with the new McAfee icon - any clues please? No idea what McAfee programme number this is because i am frozen out. Typing this on another pc.

angry.

12 Replies
kric
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: new McAfee Security Centre (red shield) Vista blues

update:

several hours later: just turned on my Vista and opened AOL (my server). I got the 'wait' symbol for 6 minutes then a McAfee pop-up telling me my computer was at risk. The red shield icon at the bottom of my screen was healthy (no 'x' over it or anything). The pop up went away and AOL stopped. I then tried to open Internet Explorer. Then programmes started freezing and I gave up.

am freakin well hissed off with this shambles!

Message was edited by: kric on 24/03/10 16:41:42 CDT
kric
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

update:

it has taken me 30 minutes to get online (Vista) due to the new McAfee Security Centre. There is no hint or clue form this Centre as to what is causing the problem, slowing my pc to a standstill, freezing programmes and shutting down the Internet: help!

Message was edited by: kric on 24/03/10 16:58:41 CDT

Message was edited by: kric on 24/03/10 16:59:14 CDT
phlebrcn
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

I am having the same issue after the update today, restart the comp uninstall mcafee and run their clean up program after install at http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe , then you can try to reinstall, i haven't tried to reinstall yet, it took down my vista comp and gave my comp with win 7 the BSOD.

phlebrcn
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

There has got to be more people with this issuue, please speak up!!!!

kric
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

thanks - am removing program to re-install now: wish me luck! 😮

Message was edited by: kric on 24/03/10 18:20:25 CDT
kric
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

just uninstalled McAfee. did a restart and AOL started up in a split second (like it did originally), then i redownloaded McAfee - that went smoothly all the way through to the end ...

THEN MY VISTA FROZE!

it really would help if a McAfee expert could shed some light on this problem

have been without a decent internet connection on my Vista for 24 hours now - are we going to get reimbursed?

Message was edited by: kric on 24/03/10 18:21:17 CDT

on 24/03/10 18:21:55 CDT
phlebrcn
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

I think ill be requesting a refund and selecting another product since i cannot get answers, i have tried the live chat and it just loads the mcafee support site. WTF MCAFEE!!!!

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

What versions are you all running?

I am still running my OEM "2009" versions, since I haven't gotten the 2010 updated versions yet.

SC: 9.15.175, VS 13.15.116 (DAT 5930, 3/24/10, Engine 5301.4018), PF 10.15.106, etc.

I did notice on my Vista Ultimate SP2 (32-bit) system today that what looked like just a small, routine DAT file update today (short download) took much longer to INSTALL than usual, and I did get the dreaded "red X" ("your computer is not protected" message) shortly thereafter.  "Fix it" did fix it, and I got no OS freeze or hang or crash.  This happens from time to time, but I suspect there might be something wonky with today's DAT file.

(My W7 Ultimate 64-bit update went fine (no Red X), but it seemed to take a bit longer to install on that system, as well.)

It's always SOMETHING, ain't it? (Or so it seems....)

Sigh,

MM

PS I'm no expert, but you MIGHT want to check to be sure you're not infected, e.g. by running the free versions of Malwarebytes Antimalware and/or Super Antispyware.  And be sure all you have all your MS patches and IE fully patched (even if you don't use it as your default browser, since McAfee and many other programs DO use it).

If you use Firefox, be sure to update to 3.6.2, which was released ahead of schedule early this week b/c of an important security flaw in 3.6.0.

And be sure all your Adobe apps are updated, as well (LOTS of security problems with their stuff over the past few months).

kric
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Thanks MoxieMomma,

am already running Malwarebytes

tried to open (or even discover the 2010 reference number) the new red shield McAfee Security Centre to give myself an even chance of sorting out whatever the problem is, before it freezes my pc again. it took 10 MINUTES to open. it told me everything was fine and gave me a nice big green tick. no kidding. 10 minutes to open a program on a 2 core. nothing to explain the excruciating delay or internet jamming. i select 'web protection' to see if i can find out what's blocking AOL and IE through McAfee. i get the 'wait' symbol, that was 60 seconds ago and counting ...

if McAfee have not trialled their new product in real time, how dare they release a program which has obvious issues!

i am going to dump this useless program and go over to Avast. i have wasted 24 hours over this and have better things to do with my life.

oh, btw, the 'wait' symbol is still revolving, bit like watching paint dry ...

now i have NOT been taken to the web section i selected, i have been flagged up a RED pop up telling me my computer is at risk because "real time scanning is off" - despite the fact i have hit ON repeatedly whenever i see this warning. I click 'on', nothing happens, presumably there will be a further 10 minute wait while McAfee decides whether i am protected or not? 4 minutes and waiting. 6 minutes ... after 9 minutes (no kidding) i am back to the green tick pop-up. i can proberly access the internet now. So what? a half hour delay every time i want to read an email? forget it - as far as Vista is, and the non-existent tech help (this used to be a really good forum) is concerned i am out of here!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community