cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 1 of 22

more questions

Anyone know what this is?I am wondering,because other then the fact that it is all in caps. I also have this as an outbound item listed 3 times on differant days.(but says program no longer exists)

Tell Mcafee about this program??? Wow i am starting to lose track of all of the problems i am having.Does not look good.Any help would be great.

Thanks so much Jack

Capture 2.JPG

21 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: more questions

Jack,

I was reading on another security forum this is very likely suspicious as Spybot Search and Destroy identified it as being malicious.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 22

It is a windows file but can be compromised

Taskhost.exe is a generic host process for Win7 32-bit services. The  location in Windows needs to be taskhost.exe is  C:\Windows\System32\Taskhost.exe. I have 2 copies running on my PC atm.

Also

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/groovytip/what-is-taskhost-exe-and-should-it-be-running/

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/QueryProcessID.aspx?Process=21143

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 22

Peacekeeper,

Thanks for responding.My concern is i have been having ongoing problems for weeks & am still waiting for a call for tier 3 support.I was told by Tromine that they would call but have yet to recieve this call.I am no computer whiz and i do have Taskhost exe in my firewall but not written like this 1.I believe i have reason for concern and these problems are now mounting as you can see by some of my other posts.http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24394?tstart=0  I noticed most of the problems after an update that left me unprotected,According to Windows action center.I also have seen permissions through my program permissions(security) granted to an icon with a red circle and line through it.When i open up some programs the icon and user permission disapears.Would you know what this is?I have been waiting for weeks,possibley infected and still have recieved know answers from Mcafee.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jack

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 22

Remove that icon's permission make sure your firewall security level is at least monitored.

See if it pops up a request for access.

Have you (haven't the time to check all your posts) scanned via the suggestions hereReport anything detected.

http://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

and try the free scanners (update them before running)

SuperAntispyware www.superantispyware.com (http://www.superantispyware.com) and  Malwarebytes www.malwarebytes.org (http://www.malwarebytes.org) both of  which are free. Just follow the directions and check for the latest updates  before you run them. Let them clean out anything they find and reboot the  computer each time they are finished.

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 22

Thanks Peacekeeper,

I have malwarebytes and it has found nothing.Mcafee has also found nothing.As far as the permission thing.What happens is when i open a program to look at the permissions,sometimes i come accross that permission that i spoke about.But it disapears as soon as i open it.If i open it again after logging off it will be there only for seconds.Then it removes itself.I have never had the time to see what it says.I suppose while i am waiting i can try the stinger..... Thanks for your thoughts.                Jack

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 7 of 22

Hi this is Kumar,

Inorder to see the message (which closes immediatly) u can try the  "pintscreen key "  the top right corner of your keyboard

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 8 of 22

There are two types of services in Windows,

1>Registry based services and 2>DLL based services. Whenever your computer boots up, windows registers all of the required DLL’s and runs the services associated with them. Taskhost.exe is the process which controls all DLL based services.

It is an integral part of the Windows operating system, if you disable this process then the core vital parts of your windows operating system will stop working.

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 9 of 22

But since the thask host has been detected by mcafee try to to find which  dll instance of the taskhost is being detected .

Message was edited by: kumaravel on 5/16/10 4:26:59 AM CDT

Message was edited by: kumaravel on 5/16/10 4:28:49 AM CDT
newjack
Former Member
Message 10 of 22

Hi Kumaraval, I have many concerns.I have had all sorts of problems since a mcafee update a few weeks ago.I have still recieved no answers while waiting for a call from tier 3 support.When logging in my Windows Action center says i`m unprotected.As seen here.

Mcafee says i am protected.I have processess granted permissions through my firewall such as 2 svchost.exe.and taskhost exe(spelled this way) the other 1 is spelled in all CAPS.Which you can see above.When i update Mcafee,Windows action center seems to clear up and say all is good.This is not good!As i should be protected from the time i log in.I can`t seem to get any answers from anyone from Mcafee.I have uninstalled, reinstalled and all of the other fun stuff.I have also been told i would recieve a call.No call.This has been going on for over 2 weeks and who knows if my computer is infected by now.Which was also suggested to me from here.I would expect since i am a longtime user with another few years left on my sub to at least get some help.I don`t know what else to do.Maybe you have to call the B.B.B to get anything done. ????????? I have know idea.

Capture 4.PNG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community