cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minsc
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

mcuihost.exe stopped working

I'm using McAfee Internet Security Unlimited Devices on a Windows 7 laptop.

Whenever I open the main interface, and go to 'Account' then 'About' to show the status of the components installed (version and dat file numbers), all is fine. Until I close that window! Every single time a few seconds after it closes I get 'Windows Problem Reporting' asking for access through the firewall and this error in Reliability Monitor:-

fault.png

I see that mcuihost.exe is causing an error in the ntdll.dll dynamic link library, a file that was updated to a new version last Patch Tuesday by Microsoft. The problem started immediately after the last PT, which leads me to believe mcuihost.exe isn't working properly with the current version of ntdll.dll.

Along with these 2 other issues I have with the current version of McAfee:-

No up/down buttons making scrolling very jerky

And McUICnt.exe flipping out at random and making the UI unresponsive and high cpu usage

McAfee is making my machine miserable to use.........

16 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 17

Re: mcuihost.exe stopped working

You can try running the McAfee Virtual Technician and see if it finds any problems and attempts to fix them. Or follow these instructions Uninstall McAfee security software

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
minsc
Former Member
Message 3 of 17

Looks to me as if mcuihost.exe is having an issue with the new version of ntdll.dll that was installed as part of October's patch tuesday, and causing an error on exit, as my issue started the day after I installed October's PT.

Most people will have Windows Problem Reporting allowed access through the firewall, so wont know if a program stops working.

CD, open Account->About, close it, then check your Action Center->Reliability Monitor to see if you're getting the same issue as I am, as you may not have noticed..........

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 17

Hmmm..As a matter of fact it seems it shows I did on 11/9/2017. No other instance since,and never have experienced any issues?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
minsc
Former Member
Message 5 of 17

If a program or component stops working, then sometimes it takes a while for it to show up in Reliability Monitor, so if there's an issue after opening and closing your McAfee 'About' window, then it might not show up right away.

Do some opening and closing of Account->About today and see if it shows up in Reliability Monitor. Every time I do so, it causes the fault I have highlighted in the attached picture above. So your Reliability Monitor graph will be slayed!

If you're getting the same thing, then there's an issue with the way mcuihost.exe is interacting with the latest version of ntd.dll that needs to be reported to the devs.......

Also note my dates are in the British form so day/month/year

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 17

Again my software has functioned flawlessly. However I will bring this up for conversation on Monday.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
minsc
Former Member
Message 7 of 17

catdaddy wrote:

Again my software has functioned flawlessly. However I will bring this up for conversation on Monday.

Probably only worthwhile if others are seeing it. If it's just me, then it's probably an issue on my machine only.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 17

I have indeed brought it up for tomorrow. I can ask the Senior 3.0 Techs to ask the Front Line Customer support if they have been getting any calls relating to this issue. I will get back to you after the Meeting.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 17

This is what I was seeing a while back and MVT reports nothing wrong now.  It's been a few days and nothing so maybe an update fixed whatever it was

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 17

I stand corrected, it happened again just now when I closed the "About" window.

I suspect latency when closing windows could be the cause.

MVT reports no problems.  MSC 16.5.188 Windows 7 SP1 x64 fully updated.

Capture.JPG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community