cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkm
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

mcshield 99 percent CPU

I have been running a software program for several years without any problems.  After I upgraded to the latest version of the program, McAfee created the following problem:  As soon as I start running the software program, McAfee mcshield takes 99 percent of the CPU and locks up the PC for about 10 minutes.  During this time, and I cannot do anything on the PC.  Then mcshield goes back down to zero percent CPU usage, and things return to normal.

If I disable McAfee real time scanning BEFORE I run the program, mcshield does NOT take any CPU time, and the software program runs without any problems.

I added the program to my list of Trusted items, but that did not solve the problem.

How do I get mcshield NOT to scan the program when I run it?

4 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: mcshield 99 percent CPU

Hello mkm,

Could you please provide the following information ;so that we could investigate on this issue

What is the operating system of the computer ?
How old is the computer ?
The name of the software which we are running ?

Please get back with the above details , we are happy to get this resolved for you.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

Mayne
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

I have the same problem on a laptop ,2ghz intel atom , 1gb ram ,windows xp home edition

mkm
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

This is what I learned from contacting McAfee:  McAfee's real-time scanning detected what it thought was a virus in the software, and spent about 10 minutes processing the software.  McAfee thought that there was a virus in the software because of the way the software was programmed.  The software is okay; it's virus-free.  My work-around solution is to disable McAfee real-time scanning before I run the software, and re-activate real-time scanning after I finish running the software.  My system configuration is similar to Mayne's: Compaq Presario desktop PC, AMD 64 bit processor, Windows XP, 1GB RAM.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Unless Dinesh has some more ideas I suggest if this continues contact Technical Support Chat as the latest update should have dealt with some of the issues, especially where laptops/netbooks are concerned.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/07/10 8:16:32 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community