cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samj
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

mcafee causing bsod,help please?

I got the 2011 version of Mcafee when it came out and I've been experiencing problems. I am using a Toshiba Equium L40 powered by microsoft. At first,after installing my new version of Mcafee I got an update message, I had to restart my laptop and when I came back on Mcafee had completely uninstalled. As far as I know it has been fine for months up until the past 2-3 weeks. I have a blue screen of death randomly and it takes about 30 mins to get my laptop working properly again, at least for a little while. My DVD drive doesn't work so I installed it from the Mcafee site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have also installed all the latest updates.

Anyway I did a Mcafee scan and a Malware bytes anti malware scan and I found nothing. I looked at which files crashed using whocrashed and got a few of the messages below:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini121710-02.dmp
This was probably  caused by the following module: mfehidk.sys (mfehidk+0x38D40)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A  (0xFFFFFFFFC040E968, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, 0x7424B8C0,  0xFFFFFFFF81D2D000)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
file path:  C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys
product: SYSCORE
company: McAfee, Inc.
description: McAfee Link Driver
Bug  check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel  data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
A third party  driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is  suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mfehidk.sys (McAfee  Link Driver, McAfee, Inc.).
Google query: mfehidk.sys McAfee, Inc.  KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

crash dump file:  C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini121510-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the  following module: mfehidk.sys (mfehidk+0x2DF8C)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4  (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF87826020, 0xFFFFFFFF8782616C, 0xFFFFFFFF82472710)
Error:  CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path:  C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys
product: SYSCORE
company: McAfee, Inc.
description: McAfee Link Driver
Bug  check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system  operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a  typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware  problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of  this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following  driver: mfehidk.sys (McAfee Link Driver, McAfee, Inc.).
Google query: mfehidk.sys McAfee, Inc. CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

6 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: mcafee causing bsod,help please?

Sorry, samj, for the delay in spotting this. It's been languishing in Community Help, which is not the right place for this sort of question. I'll move it to the main section for attention - although, given the date, that might be a bit slow in coming. Please be patient, someone will spot it soon.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 7

Some thoughts

1 What network and wireless network driver brand are you using is it Atheros?

2. NO other security software install before Mcafee? Even if it has been removed.

3. Post version of Security centre and build no. Also for Virusscan.

on 25/12/10 7:34:02 AM
samj
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for replying.

I use Sky wireless broadbrand (password protected)  and when I first got my laptop, about 3 years ago I had Norton internet security for a year then I completely uninstalled it too use Mcafee.

I have Mcafee total protection 2011 installed now,I don't know how to find the build number and suite version number though

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 7

Sorry you misunderstood me I asked what is your wireless and network driver? In control panel/ system/ device manager clicking on the network driver will show the brand. If Atheros that could be the issue. Ditto if you have a wireless driver.

Re norton did you use its removal tool?

I would suggest do so then go to toshiba and update all drivers for your laptop. Then remove Mcafee via the MCPR removal tool in useful links tab above. Reboot and reinstall.

samj
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

ok thanks,I appreciate your help.

I uninstalled norton by going to computer and then uninstall/remove programs. I also checked the network driver, it is a realtek one.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 7

The realtek driver is fine there was a bsod with toshibas on win 7 that was fixed in July. What version of the security centre , virusscan and firewall have you? If not build 221 or higher of security centre post back before continuing below suggestions.

1 I would retry installing mcafee as norton really needs the tool run before installing mcafee.

2. Uninstall Mcafee via MCPR tool

3. Reboot and run the norton uninstall tool

4 Reboot and reinstall mcafee

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community