cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abmchi
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

\device\mfeavfk04.sys causing bsod

after recent McAfee Total Protection update [sufficient to require program to close (not windows..just the program) ...install..then reopen],

did anyone else have a BSOD where cause listed as \device\mfeavfk04.sys  via bsod-reader?

computer [win7 64bit, plain dell desktop] auto rebooted from a bug check.

I haven't seen this before, but mfeavk04.sys is a mcafee file [366,328 bytes, ver 15.6.0.1220 , created 2015-04-08 07:40:42

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Re: \device\mfeavfk04.sys causing bsod

Not seen recently from my knowledge . two suggestions well actually 3.

1. Try running MVT and see what it finds

MVT

2. Uninstall and reinstall from your account

Uninstall Mcafee

3. Call support and see if they have seen this recently

support

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 7

Also search online found this. Unsure if all are accurate that is why try what I gave above first

Mfeavfk.sys blue screen errors can be caused by a variety of hardware, firmware, driver, or software issues. These could be related to either McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 software or McAfee Inc. hardware, but it is not necessarily the case.

More specifically, these mfeavfk.sys errors can be caused by:

• Incorrectly configured, old, or corrupted McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 device drivers. (very common)
  • Corruption in Windows registry from a recent mfeavfk.sys-related software change (install or uninstall).
  • Virus or malware infection that has corrupted the mfeavfk.sys file or related McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 program files.
  • Hardware conflict after installing new McAfee Inc. hardware, or hardware related to mfeavfk.sys.
  • Damaged or removed system files after you’ve installed software or drivers related to McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010.
  • mfeavfk.sys blue screen caused by a damaged hard disk.
  • mfeavfk.sys STOP error due to memory (RAM) corruption.

if malware try scanning with some of these

abmchi
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

wouldn't yet classify as "Correct" , because:

1-  bsod may 14 was on dell 8700 but no re[peat and did most of what was outlined and no explanation

HOWEVER,

2- TODAY on another dell pc, a few mos old 8900, also had bsod caused by mfehidk.sys driver from mcafee ...

AND had recently totally updated the mcafee total protection .... but note, it was initially installed by me a few mos ago...

also pc clean by multiple anti-malware programs.

on reboot, system seems fine [normal start where system just goes back to last reg]

3- support doesn't show this to be a recent issue with new tital protection...

and this different driver than others I found doing this when googled.

ac

P.S. Unable to switch the "Correct" footnote on this after I posted the reply .... so not sure how to remove while this post still active

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 7

Correct not selected so no problem there. As I said noone reported this recently. did you call support if so post the job number and I will get the forum Tech to peruse the notes and this thread.

I assume from what you said above issue still present but now on another PC.

Did you run MVT on the new PC?

abmchi
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Re: \device\mfeavfk04.sys  causing bsod

1- correction: my apology, this time bsod caused by the  mfehidk.sys  driver (4/18/2017) on a dell 8900  [orig. post was bsod caused by mfeavfk04.sys  on a 8700 dell]  as b4,  win7 pro, mcafee total protection, etc.

2-  again, nothing found on running  mvt

3- don't have the support query #

btw, neither pc has had a repeat bsod todate.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 7

Re: \device\mfeavfk04.sys  causing bsod

Maybe best to monitor them if a repeat call support and ask for an escalation call back if suggestions of no help.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community