cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indigorayne
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Would like to update my findings on NVIDIA software, and renew my request that someone please look at what they are "collecting."

Okay, so I ordered an AMD graphics card, in preparation for this card. I went into device manager and not only uninstalled the NVIDIA display adapter but deleted the software.

After doing so and rebooting I have 2 very noticeable changes to my system. First one svchost.exe is NOT sending any thing at all. There is absolutely NOTHING now showing up under "Network Other."

The other change is that under resource monitor, disk activity. It no longer shows the path as D2:\windows (etc). For the past year I have seen either D2:, H2: or I2: instead of C: now I always assumed this was supposed to be one of those security features built into Windows 10 and when attempting to search it I always found nothing. Now that I have deleted all traces of Nvidia software from my pc - and seeing how my disk activity now lists my C drive (instead of drives I do not have) I see that this is not a feature of Microsoft's at all. But it obviously has something to do with Nvidia.

Attached are screenshots of resource monitor with Nvidia software installed and now without.

and then.pngha.png

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Would like to update my findings on NVIDIA software, and renew my request that someone please look at what they are "collecting."

I'm not very "au fait" with all these things but I would say you are OK...!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Re: Would like to update my findings on NVIDIA software, and renew my request that someone please look at what they are "collecting."

Successfully moved from Consumer to General Discussion > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Shouldn't this be unmarked as a question? 

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Done

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

I would suggest that you create a discussion in the Nvidia Forums/Communities. As this is not a discussion for the McAfee Forums/Communties.

Here is the link

NVIDIA Communities | NVIDIA

For this will become a 20 *Post* discussion or more.

Which is unnecessary

Just my personal opinion....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
indigorayne
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Yeah, sorry NVIDIA has no intention of admitting whatever they are doing much less stopping it. Even with screenshots and video, or highlighted sections of their own EULA, they deny collecting anything other than system specs.

This is why I thought someone in security might be helpful. Anyway I just hope AMD does not do any of these things.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

It's unfortunate but so much software nowadays "calls home", often without anyone knowing it.   My Malwarebytes Pro just blocked one outgoing connection, however the details are so technical that I can't determine where it was from but I know it was an update check.   Who knows how may are blocked by McAfee Personal Firewall.

At least you got some sort of answer out of the people at Nvidia.   Lots of questions there go unanswered I've noticed.

indigorayne
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Oh, I had to email the company directly, attached their own program files, screenshots of what NVBackend is doing, video, and even a screenshot of their EULA. The reply seems a little bit copy and pasted standard response.

It's like when HP shipped laptops with credit card stealing spyware on the systems, then when someone realized they claimed stupidity to be honest. When a company "partners" with anyone I believe they must have some responsibility when it comes to protecting their customers. Nvidia has a long list of "partners" on their website. The EULA states basically that they can collect anything they please, (without transparency) and tells you that they and their "partners" can use it in anyway they please. (Which means everything they collect just became their product) and then offer not only a lame, but lazy denial of their actions.

If they were to be fined by the FTC, do you think they would finally admit knowing exactly what they are "collecting" they'll probably issue a similar statement to HPs blaming it on a "partner" meanwhile someone scripted THEIR program files to do these things. And have been doing so since (when did they release NVBackend?) 2011 I believe.

Anyway, feel free to close this thread if you'd like. I just hope someone will one day start looking at what companies like this are doing in the name of "data collection" not everyone that has an NVIDIA grphics card is a gamer - there may be many other people who use their devices for creativity out there. And just like mine their property is no doubt being added to the databases of those "partners."

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Good points.   I'll leave it to others to close the thread if they wish to as I don't have that power.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community