Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boxcartenant
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Workaround for MCPR

Hi McAfee,

I received a Dell Precision workstation which had McAfee software installed on it. I quickly noticed that mfevtps (and other similarly named processes) were, summarily, slowing my computer down a lot.

I attempted to uninstall McAfee, and ended up having to use the command line to get rid of Agent. That's not too bad; it wasn't as hard as getting a random thing started on linux. At this point, McAfee is not listed in my programs and features. If I was a normal user, I would think that McAfee was gone (as any trustworthy software would be at this point).

But mfevtps is still running, and it's still slowing me down, and I can't delete it by any front-door method.

So I googled around, and the answer I kept running into was "have you tried MCPR?". Reading these responses, I'm asking myself, "why in the world would I download and run more potentially untrustworthy McAfee software?" And honestly, "how do I know that this won't just drop more malware into my computer?"

Now, let's reason together. I'm not some noob who won't understand if you give me complicated instructions, and maybe this discussion can be used to help other people in the future. I came here as a last grace, hoping that you will have integrity in dealing with consumers (good or bad). I don't want to put in the time and effort to figure out how to manually remove these programs myself; I don't want to accidentally leave traces of your garbage in my computer; and I don't want to add more McAfee products to my computer in order to get rid of the existing ones.

Having made MCPR, you are certainly capable of issuing a clear set of instructions to me, enabling me to remove every trace of McAfee software myself, without need for me to download more of your software in order to do it. I am intentionally not giving you my operating system or specifics about my computer, because I want you to make the instructions general enough that they will work for anyone on a machine running Windows 7 or later. Please provide said instructions.

Thanks in advance

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Workaround for MCPR

You don't state what McAfee software (name of suite) was installed so it's difficult to say what happened.

MCPR is a cleanup tool that removes remnants of the consumer software

It does not work for Enterprise software though, that's why I'm wondering what was installed.

MCPR is also updated frequently so always download a fresh copy from:http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

Just download and run it.  Reboot as soon as it tells you to.   If you have problems after that Technical Support is free of charge:Technical Support

It's a tool you simply run and then reboot when told to.  It doesn't need printed instructions, and no it does not install anything

If you are bothered by an incomplete uninstall it's probably due to some other reason such as malware or use of registry cleaning tools that may have corrupted the original software rather than remove it. etc. that's why I linked Support.

Please mark this answered, thanks.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

If we gave instructions like "remove this registry key, delete this driver", we'd invariably have to support people who deleted the wrong key, missed a step, didn't know how to run regedit in administrator mode and ended up with unbootable systems. It would be a support and maintenance nightmare, especially given the huge range of McAfee products, versions, and OEM specific builds.

Plus the self-preservation feature of many McAfee drivers simply don't allow removal without programmatically interacting with them.

Thus MCPR exists - it removes all and every McAfee consumer product.

You may want instructions - but believe me, MCPR is a better option.

Finally...

"how do I know that this won't just drop more malware into my computer?"

Seriously? I think you're perhaps confusing us with that other McAfee guy who's not been involved in this company for oh, 30 years...

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

I took the Liberty of marking this thread as 'Assumed Answered'

Their basically is nothing else to add to the discussion, with substance.

Cliff/CD

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community