cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seth3esq
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Windows Media Center Extenders: redux

I've researched this issue for about a month and tried every viable/reasonable suggestion found.

Nothing worked except uninstalling McAfee; answering one of the moderator's question: "how do you know it's a McAfee issue and not Windows?"

Aside from the blatant logic of two highly popular Windows products (Windows 7 and Xbox 360) that both utilize Windows Media Center NOT being the reason for the sudden connectivity issue; you simply cannot argue that connectitivy resumed flawlessly after uninstalling McAfee

As there is always a flip-side to any issue, the blatant non-logic (aka: *boggle* or #facepalm) is how McAfee's response has been the equivalent of treating this as a non-issue.

I'm well aware of the hazards of the Internet as well as McAfee's standing as one of the top services in the industry; but I will not be treated with this level of disrespect. McAfee is one of the top services, but far from the only one.

It's not the issue (WMC Extenders) itself, it's the disregard shown for an issue that's not only existed for YEARS but brought to McAfee's attention countless times not by whining, nitpicking, trolls but paying customers.

So, rather than repeat the same "why can't I connect to my Xbox via Media Center's Extender?", I'll ask;

Does McAfee have any intention of ever informing its clients on the status of this issue; even if it means plainly stating that the issue can not be resolved?

NOTE:
this issue is, in fact, a "dealbreaker". there is no mention of this incompatibility in the User Agreement; an incompatibility that McAfee knows exists. that, in of itself, constitutes grounds for recinding the agreement and substantiates a claim for a full refund. the headlines alone would be what's known in the media as "glorious"

10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 11

Re: Windows Media Center Extenders: redux

What version was installed 11.6 or 12.1 for security centre?

No solution in the xbox forums? sorry no T3 level tech available for me to chase upo till the new year. Their last suggestion was reinstall Mcafee and see if new version helps.

We mods are non xbox users so cannot test this ourselves sorry.

If 12.1 no good I can ask the head support non Us based tech tomorrow as he is calling me to get some logs I gathered for him.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 11

The questions regarding WMC Extenders and/or Xbox have cropped up from time to time and we Moderators assumed all had been fixed because they died out.  It's probably simply a question of permissions or ports, but I have no idea myself as I use neither Xbox or WMC Extenders but I use WMC alone in Vista, Windows 7 and 8, all with no problems.   There haven't been any complaints lately - to my knowledge at least - which leads me to believe that it could easily be fixed by a call or online chat with Technical Support, it's free and available via Useful Links at the top of this page.   Meanwhile Tony will check his sources.

But support is open throughout the holidays.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/12/12 6:37:18 EST AM
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 11

I asked karthiks to read the thread and answer if he can.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

I am not very good in XBOX, but I can give you some suggestions to find out what is the cause of the issue

Click on Start > Right Click on Computer > Click on Manage > Expand the Event Viewer

Under Application / System check for any errors relates to the XBOX and Extender

Also post the host file contents in this thread, from the location C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts

Open the Hosts in the notepad

Let me know what is the Service Pack you are running is it Windows 7 SP 1 ?

seth3esq
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

First, I want to apologize for the stupendously snarky OP. I know better than to post when I'm in that frame of mind and should've slowly stepped away from the keyboard, had a cigarette, then came back to ask my question. Sincere apologies.

I'll follow those steps and post the info when I get back home (posting from iPhone atm).

One quick note to everyone (not just Mods):

I went into my router and disabled IGMP. The research I referred to above had a lot of talk about routers/modems recently having IMGP enabled as a default. The problem is, aside from currently being useless, one of its main functions is to bolster port blocking.

I'm extremely familiar with IP ghosting and malware planting, so uninstalling protection like McAfee is not an option (and no matter what Norton fanbois say, that's nothing more than Window dressing ... pun intended). So worst case scenario is I'm restricted to watching movies directly at my computer and best case scenario is there's a way to turn back time where I don't need Media Center at all & my consoles see/connect to my shared external HD so I can stream in my man cave.

help me McAfee Mods ... you're my only hope ...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Well my name aint Obi-Wan Kenobi I'm afraid (I wish it was), otherwise I might be able to take advantage of the force and make everything work for you....!  😉

Try answering Karthik's questions and he might be able to at least steer you in the right direction.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 11

My son streams videos from his Pc through his xbox to the lounge room. He has Mcafee 12.1 installed and has no issues. I will ask him today if he is doing anything special.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 11

You have Privacy service installed as part of Mcafee ? this from http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/media-center-faq

Error: Xbox 360 not found

You will receive the following error message when you run the Windows Media Centre Extender setup program if McAfee Privacy Service is installed on your computer. This service is not compatible with the extender software.

Xbox 360 Not Found. An Xbox 360 cannot be found on the network. Your network connection or a firewall may cause this problem. Check your connection or disable your firewall and then select Next. To end Setup and learn more about network troubleshooting, select the following check box and then select Cancel.

You receive this error message if McAfee Privacy Service was installed before you tried to install Windows Media Centre Extender.

Note This article contains information that shows you how to help lower security settings or how to turn off security features on a computer. You can make these changes to work around a specific problem. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this workaround in your particular environment. If you implement this workaround, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect your system.

Warning This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

1. Remove McAfee Privacy Service.
  2. Run the Windows Media Centre Extender Setup program again.

For more information about McAfee Privacy Service, contact McAfee technical support, or visit www.mcafeehelp.com.

Note Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products. This page might not be available in all languages.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 11

Privacy Service has since been renamed Parental Controls and is a slightly different product from the original.  I don't use it so support would know a lot more perhaps.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/12/12 10:23:48 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community