cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelsoguy
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Will McAfee release a consumer antivirus featuring DeepSafe technology in 2014?

Jump to solution

A few general questions: 

1)  Will McAfee release a consumer antivirus featuring DeepSafe technology in 2014?

2)  DeepSafe requires that VT-x be enabled on an Intel core i-series  cpu.  I purchased a Windows 8.1 PC with an Intel core i-3 cpu.  How can i determine if its VT-x is enabled, and if it is not, can I enable it ??

3)  Is anyone else as fired up as I am in wishing for a consumer DeepSafe security product from McAfee soon ?

If so, please vote below by leaving a message urging McAfee to release a DeepSafe consumer product.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Will McAfee release a consumer antivirus featuring DeepSafe technology in 2014?

Jump to solution

This has been asked a number of times and all we've been told is that they are looking at it.

The inner workings of the software are a trade secret as I am sure you already realise, but from time to time they tell us new features.

Thus far, this hasn't been one of them.  I doubt the term "DeepSafe" will ever enter into any releases McAfee/Intel make regarding home products as they usually try to keep them as simple as possible, but one never knows.

You can determine if VT-x is enabled or not by going into your BIOS or UEFI (whichever is being used) because that's usually where it is enabled/disabled.

Every motherboard is different so consult the manual for yours regarding how to enable or disable it.   If you don't have one the maker's website will carry it.

Intel's page on it is here:  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/virtualization/virtualization-technology/hardware-assist-virt...

Product Suggestions can be made here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas  as I've pointed out previously.

VT-x is hardware enhancement for Virtualization and I have it enabled in my BIOS as I run several software VM's and I guess it assists their function.

The technicalities of it all are beyond the scope of this forum, however.   Older motherboards don't even have it by the way.

In the months to come more will be revealed about new technologies I am sure, especially as the brand name switches over to Intel.   DeepSAFE is a joint McAfee/Intel project anyway, so I am sure time will tell.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/03/14 9:01:37 EST AM

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Will McAfee release a consumer antivirus featuring DeepSafe technology in 2014?

Jump to solution

This has been asked a number of times and all we've been told is that they are looking at it.

The inner workings of the software are a trade secret as I am sure you already realise, but from time to time they tell us new features.

Thus far, this hasn't been one of them.  I doubt the term "DeepSafe" will ever enter into any releases McAfee/Intel make regarding home products as they usually try to keep them as simple as possible, but one never knows.

You can determine if VT-x is enabled or not by going into your BIOS or UEFI (whichever is being used) because that's usually where it is enabled/disabled.

Every motherboard is different so consult the manual for yours regarding how to enable or disable it.   If you don't have one the maker's website will carry it.

Intel's page on it is here:  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/virtualization/virtualization-technology/hardware-assist-virt...

Product Suggestions can be made here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas  as I've pointed out previously.

VT-x is hardware enhancement for Virtualization and I have it enabled in my BIOS as I run several software VM's and I guess it assists their function.

The technicalities of it all are beyond the scope of this forum, however.   Older motherboards don't even have it by the way.

In the months to come more will be revealed about new technologies I am sure, especially as the brand name switches over to Intel.   DeepSAFE is a joint McAfee/Intel project anyway, so I am sure time will tell.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/03/14 9:01:37 EST AM
kelsoguy
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Thank you, Ex-Brit, once again for that outstanding answer.

My only comment is to recall the words of your ex-own Bill Shakespeare, who wrote something about all roses smelling somewhat similar regardless what ya call them.

Whether or not McAfee uses the words "DeepSafe" or "Deep Defender", the important thing is that they make use of the advanced anti-malware capability designed into the Intel Core i-series cpu's with the VTx hardware input, which is a unique capability & allows the anti-virus software to wrest control of the cpu from any root kit or APT.  

McAfee and Intel have written a white paper on this topic, available at this link: 

http://www.mcafee.com/us/solutions/mcafee-deepsafe.aspxhttp://www.mcafee.com/us/solutions/mcafee-dee...

which I recommend as highly informative, and which should motivate other consumers to press McAfee to market this technology to the public at large.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure that all available technologies are being looked at in any new products.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community