cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bamram
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Why is McAfee generating multiple McPltCmd.exe processes?

Why is McAfee generating multiple McPltCmd.exe processes?  31 processes and counting.  Is this a result of a virus?

12 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: Why is McAfee generating multiple McPltCmd.exe processes?

This is a Legitimate McAfee Process. Please observe the following:Malware scan of McPltCmd.exe (Platform) 521ddf8bc7823e64b72cf217c03fad664fc5c1b0 - herdProtect

Should you still feel concerned. I recommend you run the Latest McAfee Getsusp Tool.Please remember to enter your Email address under "Preferences" before scanning. This Superb Tool can be located in the following Link:

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bamram
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Thanks catdaddy, appreciate the assist.  I knew it was a legitimate McAfee process.  I'm trying to understand why I have so many of these hung processes.  I can't stop the hung processes except by rebooting the computer.  After reboot the McPltCmd processes slowly begin to accumalate again.  Looking for solution that doesn't require reboots.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

I see, then try running the latest MVT and see if if detects any issues.http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/en-us/downloadindex.html

Short of a Uninstall/Reinstall you can always contact Technical Support 24/7

Should you determine a need to Uninstall/Reinstall here are the guidelines:

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

Please make certain you are current and up to date with all Windows Updates, to include Internet Explorer. McAfee and other programs depend on it to function properly.

Wishing you all the very best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bamram
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Thank you!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

You,re perfectly welcome. Just a thought, this being a (Installation Process) have you had a recent Update occur,or received a (Prompt) indicating so?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bamram
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

I haven't been prompted to update, but there are 4 hung mcupdate processes.  Just completed the MVT install and scan.  Detected and fixed a registry problem.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 13

By opening your McAfee UI, is it (Green) and says "Your computer is secure"?

Are your Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware definitions current?

I am running the 13.6 xxx Version of McAfee Total Protection. The Engine Version is (2022.0) 9/24/2014

Are you still experiencing the same issues?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bamram
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Yes, McAfee UI is green and says "Your computer is secure".

Took me a few minutes to find the Version info...

Total Protection Version/Build 13.6.1138  Last update: 8/26/2014 (probably because mcupdate is hanging)

Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware Version/Build 17.6.394  Last Update 8/31/2014  Engine Version 1998.0

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

I would recommend (Forcing a Update) by disabling Temporarily disabling Access Protection. However, since it has been that long since you have been updated. (Which could explain the duplicating Processes) I would Either contact Technical Support, or if you feel comfortable doing so.

Would do a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall. Having said this, please make certain you have (Automatic Updates enabled).

When is the last time you ran a full scan? Please go to the link I inserted (Anti-Spyware and Hi-jacking ) and Download and run Malwarebytes (Free) Do not accept the Free Trial/or Activate...to get a second opinion, before you continue to either contact Technical Support/or perform the Uninstall/Reinstall yourself.

Please post back your results.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community