Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
langamer407
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Why can't I uninstall McAfee?

Jump to solution

So the free trial for the McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security ended and I plan to install a free antivirus but first I have to uninstall this pre installed app but I can't find it in the Control Panel whenever I try to uninstall it. Does somebody know why this is happening and how can I solve it? I'm not much of a tech genius though so I may have trouble with terms that you may use, if any. Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Re: Why can't I uninstall McAfee?

Jump to solution

You don't see something like McAfee SecurityCenter or Internet Security or Total Protection in Control Panel > Programs and Features?

If not then simply run the cleanup tool from HERE and reboot.  All will be gone but the account will still reflect that you are using it.

If you need that altered after running the tool then call Customer Service by phone for help.  It's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

If you have Parental Controls and/or Anti-Theft installed, the removal tool may ask for a password or refuse to continue in which case contact Technical Support, also free by phone or online chat and under Useful Links.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Try running MVT under Useful Links at the top of this page in the Technical Support link and post the details of the report it will generate.

Did you acquire this software from McAfee or from a retailer?

Let us know and we will proceed further

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

You don't see something like McAfee SecurityCenter or Internet Security or Total Protection in Control Panel > Programs and Features?

If not then simply run the cleanup tool from HERE and reboot.  All will be gone but the account will still reflect that you are using it.

If you need that altered after running the tool then call Customer Service by phone for help.  It's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

If you have Parental Controls and/or Anti-Theft installed, the removal tool may ask for a password or refuse to continue in which case contact Technical Support, also free by phone or online chat and under Useful Links.

langamer407
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Well, when I bought my Windows 8.1 Acer laptop the program was already installed. I tried the MVT. It says that I have 3 problems. 2 registry entry problems (SecurityCenter and VirusScan) and that my subscription is expired.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Then remove it using the tool I mentioned.

langamer407
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the cleanup tool! It worked great, though there're still some items left when I searched for "McAfee" in my pc. One last question though, can I delete them all? Thanks again

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Sure I don't see why not.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community