Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elvis
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Why McAfee not participating in AV-Comparatives

hi

i see that mcafee is not participating in AV-C for so many months?

Why is that so ... i really like McAfee and want to see it participating with other leading security solutions

on 19/02/11 8:26:10 EST AM
13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: Why McAfee not participating in AV-Comparatives

I don't think it's up to them to participate, it's up to whomever the A/V Comparative tester is to include them and such 'tests' can be biased depending on that tester's preferences/favourites etc..    I haven't see them in any lately, which begs the question, why?

You can be assured that McAfee's publicity department is fully aware of all of them.

Meanwhile thanks for your kind words about McAfee.  It's always refreshing to see that.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/02/11 8:25:23 EST AM
elvis
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

hello, firstly i like to apprcaite you for your efforts as i see you in the forum very much

Coming to the point, I agree that some are biased but I am talkingabt Av-compartives which is not . I am sure McAfee also believes that . Thats why McAfee had officially declared theird Av-C rating they got in 2009 in their site .

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

I just took a look there and McAfee is included in their tests.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/summary/summary2010.pdf

To view .pdf format you need Adobe Reader or Acrobat: http://www.adobe.com/

elvis
Former Member
Message 5 of 14

I am refferring to latest test on November 2010 for detection

Also august and July Performance test

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 14

Well I guess they don't like McAfee or couldn't get hold of a copy in time for the test, who knows?   I doubt very much if McAfee approaches them in order to be tested, more the other way around.

elvis
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

lol, I highly doubt that ... Neverthless, i wont strech this issue... I hope it performs better in future .

Also i have been using McAfee recently & i have observed a problem.

It doesn't update automatically .

e.g. Mcafee siad it would update at 6:30 but when i checked at 6:30 then it showed that it would update at 7:15 ( it had not update as i could see its last update time was a day ago)

Same thing has happenend for 3 days .

Also , same thing happened months ago when i used Mcafee 2010 ver ( which is actually same as 2011 version technically ) but the support told me that this problem would be fixed. ??

Any idea about this

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

The application polls silently for updates every 4 hours but that doesn't mean an update actually occurs.  That usually only happens once a day and the timing can vary widely from day to day depending on when the updates are distributed to the various servers dotted around the world.

What it's saying is when it will next check for updates, not when it will actually do so.

BigJ
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

Hi Peter the problem elvis  is having with next update showing close to each other like first showed 6:30 then when he checked again showed 7:15 is because it did not check for updates at 6:30 because of McAfees stupid smart timer. Elvis you have to be doing absolutely nothing on your computer at the scheduled time showing or smart stupid timer stops it from checking for updates. I really hope this is not in 2011 version or at least give us consumers an option of turning this annoying smart timer off.

Jerry

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 14

That could be the cause I suppose, they are working on that not-so-smart timer.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community