cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
urganda
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Why I won't renew my subscription

I have 2 McAfee subscriptions. One of them was renewed on June. The other one is pending of renewal in Christmas.

But I'm considering whether to renew or not, for some reasons:

1. McAfee does not have legacy compatibility.

To update the antivirus .DAT files, you have to have the most recent VirusScan engine (I.e. 2008 has expired; 2009 is going to expire soon). To use that engine, you have to have a newer operating system, wich implies a better processor and more memory. This makes McAfee a bad soft for people having legacy computers mixed with current ones, like me --New viruses use to affect old systems too.

2. Network sharing in home version is a mess.

See my messages at https://community.mcafee.com/message/148798#148798

3. Many, many false positives.

McAfee antivirus discovers all viruses, but it also gives a bunch of false positives. If the false positive is reported as "unwanted software", you can mark it as "trusted" --but when it's reported as "virus", you can't trust it. Many of my homemade .cmd files were reported as viruses.

You can send false positives to McAfee, sure, but they are being examined by, guess, the same engine that marked as false positives in your home.

There is another way, you can make a "developer" account in mcafee and send your programs in order to be examined by a human, but you can only send software developed by you.

You can't exclude directories from being analyzed, so you can't put your homemade batch archives in a special directory to avoid them being scanned.

Do you remember "Pete and the Wolf"? If your antivirus tells you everything is a virus, you end up untrusting the antivirus and trusting the virus...

4. Bad management of detection history and reports.

When you run a scan, McAfee says he has detected NNN viruses, and tells you to see the report. But, guess what?, the report contains the same figures you already saw. It does not show *which* viruses did it found, or *where*.

In order to see the information, you have to open the "Quarantine" window -- And you can't sort it by date: even when you click on the date, some items remain unsorted.

5. Auto-renewal by default.

Until last may, I did not see an easy way to cancel auto-renewal without talking to a technician. Are McAfee technicians merely sales officers?

Last may I received a message telling me how to cancel auto-renewal without such mess. --But I think it was too late.

6. Help is on the net.

What if I'm on the mountains, with a 64kbps mobile connection and a pay-per-kb data plan --or even without mobile connectivity?  I want to have the help html files back in my own computer, to read them offline.

2 Replies
guitarhead
Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: Why I won't renew my subscription

I like to keep everything simple in my life.  I'm not a techie and I can see you are, however.  It's all about support isn't it? and McAfee no longer gives that to customers with paranoid fences not letting them in.  Even their emails are no reply, eish!!  Maybe I should look elsewhere, but who offers human support today?  Again a very large eish!!!  Thank you for your post, useful mate>

Venkat_YM
Message 3 of 3

Re: Why I won't renew my subscription

Hi @guitarhead 

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have sent a private message to you, kindly check the private message for further details.

Regards,
Venkat

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community