cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 1 of 11

What's going on?

Is the website re-do screwing with all of McAfee?

Many problems.

1. On my Win10 task bar I am told by Mcafee " Downloading updates 100% complete "

but nothing has happened.

2. Cannot open McAfee program.

3.From McAfee /task bar I opened "Help". Once there tried using "help" and got told that it was a dangerous site.

4. Went to community.mcafee.com and was told "bad certificate" and danger!

5. Had to backdoor my way here as start page would not accept my sign in.

What's going on?

Sicnarf

10 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: What's going on?

"What's going on?"

Oh, nothing, Nothing unusual. Just the usual SNAFU.

The Moderators just finished an off-board discussion about the current situation. Each of us individually was reporting that access to the Community was suddenly being blocked. Chrome (my browser) gave a misleading error message that it could not connect because my system clock time was wrong, but there was another clue in that "https" disappeared from the address bar. Checking the connection details showed that the security certificate for this site had expired at midnight (local time). Chrome did not allow an insecure connection to be made so I had to fall back to Firefox, which at least gave a more accurate error message and allowed an exception to be made so access to this site is possible (if highly deprecated).

It is quite possible that the changeover from the Jive hosting software to the new Lithium board was intended to take place today. Well, it ain't going to happen. Not yet anyway. Copying all the user profiles to the new system needs to be done first, then lots of testing, before it's ready to go live. Guess who's being volunteered for the testing ...

This part of it at least has an explanation. As for the rest of it, I am at a loss to understand what else is causing the problems you see unless McAfee has a bunch of other certificates that have also expired; flagging a site as Dangerous because of an expired certificate is a possibility.

jameskhow
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Bad SSL cert management.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

The website is changing hosts from Jive to Lithium on the 18/19th of this month so it may have been overlooked, however they are apparently aware of the situation as I've seen posts from their suppoirt staff on the subject of expired certificates.   It expired yesterday, unfortunate timing.

To the original poster, try rebooting.

If that doesn't work try turning off fast boot using THIS tutorial and then reboot again

Retry.

If you have a motherboard with UEFI firmware use THIS tutorial.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Shouldn't have happened. If a new cert is re-issued soon then disruption shouldn't be too bad. In their defence the changeover from Jive and all the associated extra work has meant that the people on the Community team have been rushed off their feet. At least this is one of those things that, once they happen, become glaringly obvious. It will get fixed.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 11

I see that the certificate error has now been fixed. Please mark this thread answered.
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 11

That facility has not been activated. I'm assuming that it, or something similar, will appear eventually but it's nowhere to be seen yet. In any case the missing cert was only part of what the poster was asking about so I say it's up to him to decide if it's answered or not. Wait a few days and see if anything changes.

Sicnarf1
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Since I am no longer getting a "dangerous" message the problem has been solved.

Howeve I still cannot open McAfee ....why?

I ran the assistant and was told all is well. I show my last update was 1/11/2018. Is that the latest?

Some reason this forum lost my identity and I had to create another. And, it wouldn't let me use my regular e-mail because it said another account was using it?

Checked my account and it doesn't show "Installed" but "Install". What is the normall syntax on the account page?

Thanks

Sicnarf

Sicnarf1
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Mea culpa I should have said "reinstall".
Is "reinstall" the correct nomenclature all the time ?
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Forum user id : the changeover required a new password, is all. "sicnarf" probably still exists on the system, and you can't (I'm pretty sure) have more than one user name per email address.

As for the "reinstall" business, it looks like somehow your McAfee installation has got messed up. It happens, sometimes. try uninstalling, run MCPR to clean up the traces, and re-install. 9 times out of 10 a clean installation does away with the problems. Hope you're not the 10th one 🙂
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community