Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoParis
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

What Threat?

Hi Forum,

I use a McAfee-Product, because it's bundled with my laptop, and since I just had to reinstall windows I got the AntiVirus to (It wasn't preinstalled, but apparently it's included in the recovery-partition, which is kind of odd IMHO). I wasn't asked if I wanted to install it, and since it's only a trial I'm bombarded now with ads and nagscreens... So that's kind of a bad start.

Anyway. Since it is installed anyway I gave it a try and scanned a file I need for work. LiveScan scanned, and then told me it 'fixed all threats to my PC'. The file in question is gone now, so livescan did something to my file - but what? Delete it? Quarantine it? But to where? And even worse: Why? What was the threat about it? If it was a virus, which one?  I'm thoroughly confused, and to be honest pretty annoyed with the product.

** Update: I looked around some more, and indeed, hidden within the settings of all places I find kind of a report, apparently my file was quarantined, but to where? And again - why? There's a link there, FilePatcher... But I know it is a file patcher, it's supposed to be, even the filename is 'patch.exe'. Behind the link there's a generic company page, more ads, more nagging, lots of text that says nothing about my file or why its thought to be a threat.

So yeah, I have to say I am pretty annoyed with livescan so far. And I still would like to know what Virus it detected in my patch.exe. Is there any way to find out? Or does it just consider any suspicious little exe-file a virus, just to be safe?

3 Replies
JoParis
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: What Threat?

*Bump*

Nobody knows? (My post wasn't only a rant, there's a question in the last paragraph...)

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 4

Ok here are a few thoughts

1. Open McAfee and click on My Info tab and then select Security History. Choose time period of the scan and on left viruses detected and see what it says.

2. Since it was quarantined you can open the quarantined area ( gear symbol top right) and try to restore it (the file). You can if you feel file is ok either zip and send it to McAfee.for review

To do so please follow this FAQ please

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&articleId=TS102053

Ensure the file is zipped and pass-worded with password infected.

If file is bigger than 10Mb zipped post a link to a www.virustotal.com scan and I will pass this onto McAfee

3. Try to exclude the file from detection in the PC Security / Real time scanning area, this might work really depends on how serious McAfee feels the detect is or at least that is my feeling of the option.

Good luck

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 4

Hi @JoParis 

McAfee security is originally shipped by your System manufacturer hence it is included in recovery partition.

You said that you reinstalled Windows meaning that all applications are installed from recovery partition - Higher chances of outdated applications that might cause you trouble. Update McAfee, Windows and installed applications and let us know if you still face the problem.

You should be able to locate the Quarantined files list by visiting the FAQ article mentioned by @Peacekeeper - post back if you were successful recovering the file. Ensure utmost caution as quarantined directory mainly contains infections, unwanted files detected by McAfee

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community