cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srvalentine
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Updated: Hyperlink Altered between sender and delivery to inbox

Update: Sorry for any confusion this post caused. The emails came from an email processor which for some reason replaces user URLs with an URL pointing back to the email processor's server. The email processor's the server then redirects back to the original URL. The email is not being updated by malware/virus. The emails are created by the email processor with the different URLs.

Original Post:

I received several emails from a friend which contained embedded hyperlinks. The links appear safe enough until hovering the cursor over link reveals the display text doesn't match the URL. The URL points to an IPAbuseDB reported hacker site.

Viewing the message source shows the hyperlink as it was entered plus text which replaces the original message text..

The sender says the emailed link "works" from their end.

How do I determine where the hyperlink change is occurring? It appears that malware/virus is changing the text but where?

I use Total Protection on my devices.

2 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 3

Re: Hyperlink Altered between sender and delivery to inbox

Hi @srvalentine 

Please let us know if you are using outlook or webmail and also if it happening for any particular senders address or random. If possible provide screenshots for the same to look in to this further. 

Thanks,

srvalentine
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Hyperlink Altered between sender and delivery to inbox

I use Outlook via the Microsoft website and not MS Exchange server.

I also found out that the friend uses an email processor that "configures" the emails using the link pointing back to the processor's server.

Please close this thread. Delete if you can.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community