cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitehat62
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Unknown IP address on network

I have an unknown IP address on my network which did not show up until today.( I just happened to write down all IP addresses for devices on my network yesterday). I went to a site to identify the address  which shows up as a location in another state with a company name.  Symantec identifies the IP address as a threat to ie-mail but not  as an Intrusion threat. I read that the router address now must be changed to keep them out.How do I know if this is something I need intermittently like a connection with McAfee or my Internet provider?

5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unknown IP address on network

er how about posting the address? If you are worried re privacy PM me with its details.

whitehat62
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Sorry! Just a noob.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 6

reverse of 192.168.1.67 which I assume is 1 of your PCs correct?

Currently Mcafee has a problem that does nothing but stress you where it shows some PCs on your network as reversed IP addresses. They say it is only cosmetic and are not fixing it as any priority.

Do you think this is the case?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/05/12 1:26:34 PM
jlcavor
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

I see this "reverse IP address" issue dating back to late 2010 at least. It must have no priority. Cosmetic or not, it is a bug that should be fix by now.

Peacekeeper wrote:

reverse of 192.168.1.67 which I assume is 1 of your PCs correct?

Currenlyt Mcafee has a problem that does nothing but stress you where it shows some PCs on your network as reversed IP addresses. They say it is only cosmetic and are not fixing it as any priority.

Do you think this is the case?

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 6

Yep I and the other mods have been pushing this to no avail sorry. It is even in the new 2012 beta. Time to restir them.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community