cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_79392
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Total protection won't scan, and MVT will download but not launch

PC Windows 10, McAfee Total Protection. Lately it won't let me run a scan manually, I get a finger for a cursor but nothing works. I downloaded MVT, launched as administrator... get the 'let this program make changes to this computer' popup, I select yes.... then nothing. Stumped.

5 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Total protection won't scan, and MVT will download but not launch

It may be beneficial to run Malwarebytes Antimalware to rule out any infection.

Then you could try going to your Control Panel/Programs and Features/Remove your McAfee software/Restart. Then follow up    http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp  Restart if asked.

Then go to your Account and Download/Reinstall.

Sometimes the software becomes corrupt, it happens.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Successfully moved from McAfee Endpoint Security (ENS) to General Discussion  > Discussions

Moved this to the Consumer section,as you are using a Consumer product.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_79392
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks, I think. I really wish I hadn't uninstalled McAfee Total Protection, and run the software removal tool. 3rd go round software removal tool still says some files were not removed see log (which is about 5000 lines). And after downloading Total Protection 3 times (just about all my monthly data allowance) I still get ' Installation Incomplete - We couldn't install any of the security features included with your software. To fix this you can: Try installing them again.

Between the attempts 2 and 3  I cleaned my registry with Glary, removed any files or folders that appeared to be McAfee, etc. Restarted the machine, launched McAfee setup without opening a browser etc.

Afraid to use my computer, but I run a charity and I kinda need to.

HELP

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

Please do not use any *Registry Cleaners* as they will do more harm than good. Please follow these guidelines Installation Incomplete

I hope you have not caused damage to your registry files by using Glary's.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Alternatively you can contact Technical Support for assistance; https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact  Via Online Chat/Phone being the quickest.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community