cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rturnock
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Total Protection breaks WIndows backup options

Neither "Create System Image" nor Windows Home Server backups work with McAfee Total Protect real time running. The problem is completely reproducible. Either backup with stop at the first step with real time on and both work fine with it off. Once the backup has started copy files real time can be turn on again and the backups will run to conclusion.

I suspect it has something to do with the Volume Shadow Copy Service, VSS.

I did a full clean and reinstall under instruction from support but nothing changes.

As an aside, if I could turn off real time from the command line, I could fix this with a batch file or using task scheduler - stop real time, start backup, wait a few minutes - restart real time. Anyone know how to do that?

19 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 20

Re: Total Protection breaks WIndows backup options

It's probably a simple setting somewhere, possibly Firewall > Ports and System Services but I would call Technical Support,

it's free of charge and if at first they can't give an answer try again and ask for escalation.

Contact Support

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 20

Moved from  Service and Support to General Discussion >Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
rturnock
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. It only the real time that I must switch off, I tried switching off the firewall but that didn't help the situation.

The support person I worked with was patient and polite but really we just did a remove, clean and reinstall with no change - not unusual for first level.

I will keep nosing around my system for a few hours and then give them another try with a request for escalation.

Richard

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 20

Switching off antivirus real-time scanning is usually the quickest cure for backup issues, but isn't safe.  I would not switch off the firewall but certain ports may need to be opened.  Tech Support would know.

rturnock
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Guess I'll keep with it. I went through the same steps of showing the problem again and set a time, within two hours, for an escalation call but no one got back. I hope I don't have to repeat it all again, I'd have thought wasting time doing the same things would not be in McAfee's interest. I can't be easy supporting a bzillion different configurations and customers who range frombeing able analyze memory dumps to "what's the 'any key'"

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 20

​,

Do you by chance have your (Service Request Number) from your 1st call? I can ask one of our Tier 2.5 Technicians to take a look at what they have checked out so far. If so, please kindly provide it, as it will help him analyze and hopefully come up with a resolution.

​  Could you asisst this customer please?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
rturnock
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

I know we are struggling to fix this but your service is by far the best I have ever experienced! My sister recently asked for a recommendation, before this incident, and I am glad I recommended McAfee.

First Request Number 484570-2170612868

Second Request Number 2171006893

Richard

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 20

I realise how frustrating it can be.  I paged one of the regular Technicians who visit and help out here.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 20

Hi Richard

Thank you for the kind words Also for providing the Service Request Number. Hopefully ​ or  sanjay will pick up this thread in short order. If not I can mention this to him on our Conference Call today.

All the very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community