cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lotrfan
Contributor II
Message 1 of 1

Total Protection Version 16 becomes unresponsive

I run McAfee Total Protection on two PCs.  The details of those PCs and the Total Protection details are found at the bottom of this message.

When I start up McAfee Total Protection to clean-up my PC or to run a scan, I notice the scan and quickclean functions are unresponsive when I click on the squares at the bottom of the McAfee screen. In fact, no function in any of the McAfee submenus work.  The only function that works is the ability to close the Total Protection program. If I wait, Total Protection does not recover. If I close the program and restart, it does not recover.  If I log out of the current username and log back in , it does not recover.  The only cure is to reboot the computer.  Note that the computer itself is not locked up when this happens...it functions normally.

This behavior was not present in previous versions of McAfee software run on this computer.  I have tried to correlate this to programs I ran previous to starting McAfee, time of day, etc.  The only slight correlation is that it is more prone to happen when I come out of a program like Firefox and immediately start Total Protection.

This unresponsive behavior happens about 25% of the time I start McAfee.. so not all the time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

PC1

Toshiba Satellite C870 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (all updates installed)

2 Intel Pentium CPUs ( B950) @ 2.10GHz

McAfee Total Protection 16.0.3 ;last update 27 August 2017 running Quick Clean 16.3

PC2

Toshiba Satellite C870 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (all updates installed)

4 Intel i3 CPUs (2370M)

McAfee Total Protection 16.0.5 last update 17 Nov 2017 running Quick Clean 16.5

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community