cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frankly01
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Total Protection Updates trigger FAP

We live in an area where the only IP possibilities are dial up and HughesNet satellite. The "always on" mode of Total Protection's updates contributes to exceeding our upload/download limits. I need to be able to schedule DAT and other updates during the free period of 1:00AM - 6:00AM. HughesNet provides a Download Manager that can schedule any updates during that period, but I don't know how to point it to McAfee's operations. Can anyone tell me how? Thanks.

7 Replies
kumar_B
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Total Protection Updates trigger FAP

Hi Frankly01

what is the version of mcafeee home edition  u hav is it mcafee 2010 ("your computer is secure ")or mcafee 2009 (am i protected yes)

if u have mcafee 2009 version which says "Am i protected " then u can try the following steps:

open mcafee > at the lower right corner  click configure > under "automatic updates are enabled " click " advanced " then try clicking the option: "notify me before downloading any updates "  so that whenever mcafee is ready to downlaod the updates it will notify you and postpone it later if u dont wish to do the update or u can continue with the updates .

also if u are are going to manually update mcafgee and if u wish to disable automatic upadtes  then click configure in the mcafee home page (am i protected ) and click turn off under the "automatic updates are enabled " . But to  have the latest protection you need to update it daily .

if u hav the mcafee 2010 version(your computer is secure) then open mcafee > click on updates > click on settings  > turn offf automatic updates if it is  on select notify me beffore downloading any updates click apply .

Message was edited by: kumaravel on 5/25/10 5:16:47 AM CDT

Message was edited by: kumaravel on 5/25/10 5:46:08 AM CDT
Frankly01
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thank you, Kumaravel, for taking the time to reply.

I have the 2010 Total Protection version of McAfee. And it's easy to select "notify me before downloading". However, that doesn't solve my problem, because with the internet connection open, the program is in "always on" mode, looking for the most recent changes while using bandwidth.

On the other hand, if I disable automatic updates, which is also easy to do, that still doesn't help me, because I would have to use bandwidth to do the search and downloads manually. But I'm not awake during the free download period in the wee hours of the morning. So what I need is either 1) a way to schedule McAfee to only look for updates and automatically do any downloads during that free time, or 2) the exact McAfee update/download file names that I can direct my Download Manager to run during the free period.

These days many programs don't take into account that a lot of people still don't have access to true broadband internet service the way that you do.  We need some help! Can you offer it? Thank you so much.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I do not think what you are asking is possible with the McAfee software.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Yes, until such time that there is that ability to schedule updates, I suggest turning off automatic updates and doing it manually when you prefer, but I recommend doing it daily if possible.

Frankly01
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

That's very disappointing. Seems I'll have to search for a different internet protection program. The 2009 version was not so heavy-handed as 2010 apparently.

But I'll still wait to see if someone else has a solution. Thank you all.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 8

WE can ask the techs in our next monday meeting if they see a way if you can wait till then? I wonder if disabling updates and scheduling to run the mcafee update manager mcupdmgr would work.. They would know do you Kumar?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/05/10 1:18:10 PM
Frankly01
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Sounds like you might be on to something! I'll surely wait to see what you can find out. Thanks so much.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community