Re: Total Protection Icon not responding

Thank you, I will keep monitoring the thread,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
astor
Contributor II
Message 42 of 49

I just came across this thread and it appears it relates to the same sort of issue I have been experiencing for the past month or so. I have set McAfee to inform me of any updates and I allow it to proceed whenever I like it to.  What I have noticed is if the update is minor (eg, signature update) the icon disappears then reappears and I can move my mouse over it to see the usual % complete message and when it's complete I can see the usual menu. However, when the update is a major one the icon disappears and reappears but when I move the mouse pointer over it nothing happens. Double clicking on it does nothing also. I then run Task Manager to see if the CPU is doing anything - it's dead quiet. I then log off and log back on and the CPU is busy for a while and the icon shows it's installing an update with the usual running % complete message when I move the mouse pointer over it. I suspect what's happening is major updates stall for whatever reason until I log off then log back on. The account I'm using does not have admin privs so I wonder if that could be the reason. In any case it's not a major issue as I just log off and back on.

Details:

Windows 7 Pro on a DELL XPS 8300 with the latest Windows updates installed.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 43 of 49

In certain instances a 'Restart' is required after a Version/Build Upgrade, and is always a good thing to do. Simply let the new features load fully and filter through your system,before you start using your machine. Mine always upgrades and completes as I have mine set on Automatic.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
astor
Contributor II
Message 44 of 49

That reminds me.  I used to get a reboot is required message with an older version of McAfee. I don't appear to get them any more. In any case that's not the issue I'm having. Perhaps I will set it to Automatic to see what happens.

Peacekeeper
Message 45 of 49

Usually you get a message to close the McAfee program to install new patches. Restarting not usually seen much from my seeing updates.

astor
Contributor II
Message 46 of 49

Yes that's another thing. When I open up the program (single right click and select "Check for Updates") and it happens to be a major one I get that message to close the program before it proceeds to completion successfully.  It's only when a "new update" message pops up at the bottom right of the screen and I click to "update now" is when I have the issue explained in detail in my original post - but only if it's a major update. Minors ones proceed to completion OK.

Peacekeeper
Message 47 of 49

Might be a manual update issue I really have not been asked to restart recently

astor
Contributor II
Message 48 of 49

Just noticed that after an update WebAdvisor was making Firefox slow. Turning off the addon fixed it. I then ran Chrome and WebAdvisor although enabled the browser was running fast as usual. As it turned out the addon was not working since it wasn't showing the colored icons next to each item after an internet search. So I rebooted, re-enabled WebAdvisor in Firefox and all is now OK. Sad to see McAfee dropping the ball here for not advising me to reboot after an update. The worry here is the update was not a major one, at least I didn't think it was since it was fast. This effectively means I should reboot each and every time I get an update to make sure. NOT HAPPY!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 49 of 49

Just to clarify. You normally are not required to perform a Reboot after a Automatic Update. However due to the fact that Web Advisor updates silently (In the background) differently than your Engine Versions/other features. One will notice that the Version/Build has changed after a restart.

In addition the issue you are discussing actually belongs in Web Advisor.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community