cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yesysky
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Stuck on update is being installed

I've removed and installed the Anti virus software about 4 times seeing how that's the solution after searching for a bit but doesn't seem to work at all.

10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 11

Re: Stuck on update is being installed

When you removed it did you also use the MCPR removal tool after you initially uninstalled via windows?

Uninstall Mcafee software

yesysky
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

oh I never did the uninstall by windows I just used to uninstall software lol

let me try that

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 11

That should not help only would have freed up a license that is why it is suggested to run first. Try it and then best to call support.

Support

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

​,

Successfully moved from Community Support to General Discussion >Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 6 of 11

I have had this issue for several months.  What works for me is to restart the PC and do a manual update.  When it asks to close the window, click on CANCEL, leaving the window open.   Then the update completes.  Still waiting to see if this problem is fixed in latest release 14.0 R13.  It does not happen for me on the daily engine updates, but only when other components need to be updated.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Just to clarify my thinking...Are you saying that you experience no issues on a daily basis when your Engine versions update? If that is the case then your *updates* are not hanging, if you will. As for your other components and features changing, this is called  *Upgrading* to newer versions/builds.

Which occur periodically , unlike Engine Versions which generally take place daily.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 8 of 11

Upgrade or update, its all a change to the software to me.

The stuck on update problem is mentioned in several threads.  The message on the McAfee taskbar icon when attempting to open the security center from the taskbar uses the term "update" when the stuck in update problem occurs.

"An update is being installed.  Please wait until the McAfee finishes the installation of your software".

To me, it appears to happen when there is more than the daily engine change.

It got stuck during the recent change from 14.0 R12 to 14.0 R13 earlier this month.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Quiltgirl said  " It got stuck during the recent change from 14.0 R12 to 14.0 R13 earlier this month. "

Exactly my point You were being *Upgraded* to a newer Version/Build. And yes it will say 'Updates'.

Thank you for the clarification, because there is a distinct difference. For instance you will be *Upgraded* in the near future from 14.0.R13  > 15.1.R2.

Quiltgirl said  "​It does not happen for me on the daily engine updates, but only when other components need to be updated."

There are occasions when a *Reboot* is required to complete the installation.

As a matter of fact I do one anyhow and let it fully load and filter through my system.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 10 of 11

Yes, in the past McAfee has indicated that a reboot is necessary to complete the installation.  But that has not happened in a very long time.

With this problem, a restart/reboot is needed to clear the "stuck in update" problem and allow a manual check for updates.   If I do the restart and don't do a manual update, it gets stuck again at next automatic update time.  If I do a  manual update and close the window when McAfee requests it, that update hangs too.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community