cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 21 of 61

Re: Should McAfee be compensating users after 5958 debacle?

Thanks Tromine,

Here is 1 of my posts with the screen shot.Keep in mind Mcafee says i am protected.It is posted on the forums right now.For some reason i can`t copy the link to this page.Another conern.

Message was edited by: newjack on 5/4/10 12:33:38 PM EDT
newjack
Former Member
Message 22 of 61

I dont know if you can see the link on your end. I cant but there is 2 little blue boxes in the post that i can click on to go to the article.It is under technical suport??

tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 23 of 61

I did see your screenshot from the other post.  This sounds really fishy.  I'm going to have one of our top Support guys check out the thread.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
newjack
Former Member
Message 24 of 61

I would really appreciate that.As this is a new computer. I try to surf safely and always read the site advisor rateings before even entering a site.I know that the internet is a rough place nowadays,but i have had Mcafee insatalled and running from the day this computer was delivered.After loseing my xp last year i stayed with mcafee and like the features it has.The program was reccomended to me a few years back.But if it`s not functioning properly we both know what the inevitable outcome is.

Thanks for your time,

Jack

newjack
Former Member
Message 25 of 61

I have also found a bunch of errors and warnings in event viewer

Capture.PNG

missteekie
Contributor
Message 26 of 61

Like everyone it's a waiting game.  But today, I received from McAfee in Ireland a Disc.  I have had my computer fixed by PC world, so I'm not really sure what the recovery disc is all about.  Except, like most home users I don't have my OS Window XP - just a restore partition. So,  I'm thinking had my machine not been working I could boot of this disc.

The point is, it was action and appreciated.

My general take on the situation is McAfee need to take stock are their liabilities, it's implication and perhaps their insurance,  before they take claims.  I have kept my receipts from PC World for £70 - but I think that is peanuts - compared to the potential claims from corporate users.

So it's watch for the place where we can claim.  I gather if you have lodged your problem via the various supports you will be getting the additional subscription.

UnAuthorizedDes
Former Member
Message 27 of 61

I think that they should. Actually they should reimberse anyone who has somehow gotten any virus, maleware, etc that they are SUPPOSED to be protecting against. Maybe not cash or anything but they SURE AS HELL shouldn't try to make me pay another $80 to renew my subscription. (just a few weeks ago, I let my computer sit unprotected for a month before they offered me the $50 deal.)

Sorry McAfee, with all the free virus protection and other freeware out there your products simply are not worth $80.

And I REALLY HATE the new user interface.

on 5/4/10 7:55:51 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 61

They are 2 years extra subscription for users with XP who experienced the issue and reimbursement of reasonable costs for a PC shop to apply the fix or sort the issue out.

Re 2010 it is growing on me. I was surprised when we saw it in beta back in August but atm like it. Every1 is entitled too their opinion though so if you have any suggestions to improve it post them here

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 29 of 61

Hi, Peacekeeper:

>>>if you have any suggestions to improve it post them here

1) Fix the W7 64 compatibility problems (I am dreading the day I receive the 2010 version updates "unannouced" & will likely leave McAfee for good if the upgrade causes any problems, instability or crashes).

2) Add the alert sounds back as an option (FYI they don't work even in the "2009" versions on W7 64).

3) Add the ability to customize the *scheduled* scans (type of scan; file size or type or drives/folder locations, etc).

4) Provide specific alerts that inform the user that an update is a *software* update that may require rebooting and/or disabling/uninstalling other security apps in order to proceed properly.  EVERY other ISS and standalone security app I have ever used (and even Windows Update) uses a balloon from the system tray (or similar means) with something along the lines of  "new software updates are available. install NOW or LATER? may require reboot."

5) Get rid of smart timer.

6) Larger or resizable GUI that's actually legible.

7) More intuitive and easier way to find the "about" information (software version, DAT version) that only takes 1 click in the 2009 GUI.

😎 Oh, and improve the detections/security, especially for the firewall -- MBAM has successfully blocked numerous bad IPs that have not even been noticed by McAfee.

9) Fix the networking issue w/disappearing devices on system reboot.

That's it for "starters".

Thanks,

MM

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 61

1) Fix the W7 64 compatibility problems (I am dreading the day I  receive the 2010 version updates "unannouced" & will likely leave  McAfee for good if the upgrade causes any problems, instability or  crashes).Mine very stable on win 7 64 bit and 32 bit.

2) Add the alert sounds back as an option (FYI they  don't work even in the "2009" versions on W7 64).Already sent to them as a priority 2 wish list item.

3) Add the  ability to customize the *scheduled* scans (type of scan; file size or  type or drives/folder locations, etc).Ditto Priority 1

4) Provide specific alerts  that inform the user that an update is a *software* update that may  require rebooting and/or disabling/uninstalling other security apps in  order to proceed properly.  EVERY other ISS and standalone security app I  have ever used (and even Windows Update) uses a balloon from the system  tray (or similar means) with something along the lines of  "new  software updates are available. install NOW or LATER? may require  reboot." Yep that 2 already in list as Priority 1

5) Get rid of smart timer. or at least give option to disable it. the new 10.5 has some improvement feature wrt updates P1 as well

6) Larger or resizable  GUI that's actually legible.P3

7) More intuitive and easier way to  find the "about" information (software version, DAT version) that only  takes 1 click in the 2009 GUI.Agreed tho once you know where is is 2 clicks only needed

😎 Oh, and improve the  detections/security, especially for the firewall -- MBAM has  successfully blocked numerous bad IPs that have not even been noticed by  McAfee. Hmm not seen this is MAB running active? ie is it the registered version if so it it known to clash with virusscan when both tries to scan same file. Not well up with MWB so can you elaborate

9) Fix the networking issue w/disappearing devices on  system reboot. Bug reported 4 weeks ago in beta. No reply yet reasked last Monday in our meeting

So you see these and 10 more suggestions have already been laid in front of the developers. What gets added is out of our grimy paws.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community