cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecr1014
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Sharing media on a home network - problem

I am experiencing a problem starting Media Sharing server from a desktop to  a Sony Blue Ray Player, BDP-S570. I am using MS Windows Media Player 11 on the desktop as the server. The network connection from the BDP is wired. I can see the Internet download movies from Netflix and the like, no problems. However the Blue Ray server startup tool fails consistently sending out a message saying there is a firewall rule on my desktop is preventing the server from starting. I have opened the ports as documented by Microsoft, see link below. Additionally, I added a setting for "IPv6" "fe80::/10" to "My Home Network" without much success.

Has anyone experienced such a problem. If so your help will be greatly appreciated.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Sharing-media-on-a-network-using-Windows-Media-Play...

2 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Sharing media on a home network - problem

Hi ecr1014,

Could you please let us know the versions of McAfee in which you have issues with??? .

McAfee Virus scan :

Version :

DAT :

McAfee Personal Firewall:

Version :

Have you contacted McAfee tech support with regards to this problem ? If possible can you post us with a screen shot of the error : The Microsoft link you posted is outdated it seems(page cannot be found)

Regards,

ecr1014
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Sharing media on a home network - problem

Hi Jai,

McAffe virus scan: Build 15.0.291

Version: 15.0

DAT: 6489

Personal firewall: Build 12.0.344

Version: 12.0

I have not contacted McAfee support yet hoping the problem I am experiencing is a known issue.

I am unable to post a screen show as it is displayed on my TV by the Blue Ray Player. However it is a simple message stating the 'server did not start' and 'there is a firewall rule preventing the server from starting' no additional details provided.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Sharing-media-on-a-network-using-Windows-Media-Play...

Should I contact McAffe support?

Thank you for your support.

Message was edited by: ecr1014 on 10/5/11 9:51:58 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community