cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ikeika
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Service Host problem

There are many threads on this, but service host starts running which causes system core to run using up 100% of my CPU.  I can't do anything until it takes a breather and I can get in.  This has been going on for a few months.  I had uninstalled Mcafee because of the problem last year and only recently reinstalled it.  Now there is no uninstall on my controll panel.  I can't get rid of it.  I have a multi subscription and I don't dare put it on any of my other computers.  If someone can point me in the right direction to correct this, I will.  If not, then I'll need to wipe this hard drive clean and reinstall everything except McAfee. 

I have security center version 11.0

build 11.0.649

Virus scan version 15.0

build 15.0.294

Message was edited by: ikeika
INFO:

I have a scratch built computer

ASUS P4P800e-Deluxe motherboard
Intel P4 3.2e gig processor
Corsair TwinX memory 1 gig x 4
Western Digital hard drives 640 gig x 2
Radeon 2600 Video card
Creative Audigy sound card

Windows XP SP3
Explorer 8
on 1/12/12 10:00:23 PM CST
4 Replies
ikeika
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: Service Host problem

A year ago, after an update, McAfee saw my video drivers as a virus and kept deleting it.  Every time I turned on my computer I had to reinstall the drivers.  I called McAfee and they said it wasn't their program.  So, out of sheer stubborness, I just continued to reinstall the drivers.  One day I decided to remove McAfee and see what would happen.  Lo and behold, no problem.  Reinstalled McAfee, same problem.  I uninstalled McAfee and left it off for the rest of the year.  When my subscription came up, I waited a month or so before I resubscribed.  From that moment to this, I have had nothing but problems with McAfee.  It runs ServiceHost and Core to max out my CPU to 100%.  I can't do anything except click close on the alert window.  When I finally got in the other day, I went looking for the uninstall.  There was none.  What to do.  So this morning, I reinstalled McAfee, only after it had uninstalled itself I stopped the installation.  It's gone.  I've been a long time user of McAfee, however, after two years worth of paying for service and having none, I've lost faith in the company and I am moving on.

ikeika
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

The process:

Removed and reinstalled McAfee - problem remained

Per moderator, ran Virtual Technician - problem remained

Per moderator, closed NetGuard - problem remained

Per moderator, installed beta version of Site Advisor - problem worsened

Per moderator, suggested reformat hard drive, well that's not going to happen

Uninstall for McAfee missing from Control Panel; went to McAfee site to redownload; stopped reinstallation after deletion of files; deleted all folders, temp folders and registration keys

It took over half hour to load a song to listen to this morning; after removal, 10 seconds.  I forgot how fast my computer was.

pusaqall
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Hi there. Do you have any update on this problem? Were you able to fix it?

ikeika
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

An update from McAfee early last year saw my video drivers as a virus and kept knocking them out.  I had to reinstall them every time I turned on my computer.  When I deleted McAfee there was no problem.  This was on two of my computers both using a Radeon 2600 pro video card.  None of my other computers were affected.  So, I removed McAfee and had no problems and no coverage.  Later in the year, I went ahead and reordered McAfee hoping by this time they had fixed my problem and wound up with the Service Host problem.  I tried everything here that was suggested to no avail.  However, the moderators here said there may be a conflict with Alcohol 120% and to remove the program.  I happen to have that program installed and I use it daily.  It's not going.  So, I got a different vendors anti-virus program and haven't had any problems since.  I personally have had a good expirence with McAfee for many years, hence I reordered.  However, it appears to be an ongoing problem with older platforms, and mine is, and since I don't play games but type, I just moved on.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community