cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drghughes
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Security Scan Plus Chrome extension

Any idea what the Security Scan Plus Chrome extension is all about?

Popup confirming automatic installation:

McAfee SiteAdvisor - 2014_0220b - Chrome update message.JPG

Details in Chrome Extensions tab:

McAfee SiteAdvisor - 2014_0220c - Chrome update message.JPG

And then someone seems to have changed their mind - when I click on the Visit website link on the Extensions tab I get:

McAfee SiteAdvisor - 2014_0220f - Security Scan Plus removed.JPG

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: Security Scan Plus Chrome extension

It's an option with Adobe and some other software makers.   You can uninstall it in the normal manner through Control Panel > Programs.  Look for McAfee Secvurity Scan Plus.

It's merely a sales tool to check if you need security software.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

As Ex_Brit says, its a freebie program you get with Adobe downloads if you're not careful. I'd say that's where this came from.

SSP popup.JPG

Message was edited by: Hayton on 21/02/14 00:34:50 GMT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

And this is how it arrives. Usually if you're in a hurry or not paying attention ...

And SSP sneaks in under the radar.PNG

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Kudos ! Seeing is believing....

With so much discussion in regards to McAfee Security Scan+, and other unwanted add-ons-extensions-plug-ins, especially being offered while downloading Adobe-Java products. Your post clearly displays how such can be inadvertently installed, if not paying close attention.

In addition it shows the Latest Version as well. That was my primary reason for posting yesterday, to make certain users pay close attention to (Optional) software. As so many end up wondering how they ended up with such programs on their system.

Glad you thought of posting this....

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
drghughes
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Yes, I know where it comes from and how to remove it.  As it seems harmless I've left it.

What I want to know is why it is suddenly adding a Chrome extension.  Any ideas, or do we just blame it on "someone from marketing".

Also, in https://community.mcafee.com/message/321014#321014 Hayton says that the extension appears to belong to Sencha.  What is that based on?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I said, "appears to belong to". I wasn't 100% certain about that attribution, and now I've dug a little deeper I think I may be mistaken.

That Chrome extension is rarely mentioned in posts anywhere. There are just three references to it that I found : two are in the output from something called "zoek.exe" (one of those is a malware analysis on Malwarebytes, here if you're interested). In both cases it shows up merely as

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions

bopakagnckmlgajfccecajhnimjiiedh - No path found[]

The third is from a developer (here) writing Sencha code and seeing errors when he runs it in Chrome

ERROR:external_registry_loader_win.cc(90)] Missing value path for key Software\Google\Chrome\Extensions\bopakagnckmlgajfccecajhnimjiiedh.

Possibly that extension in all three cases does refer to McAfee's SSP - maybe the uninstaller doesn't remove the Chrome extension. It's not totally clear because later the developer says - without further explanation -

Please ignore this. I found the solution on my own

However in the case of the two logs from zoek.exe both users had, or once had, McAfee SSP installed. So it's an open question. I'll modify the other post to indicate that the Sencha attribution is unreliable.

As for why SSP adds a Chrome extension, we won't get any answers from Marketing that's for sure. But the reason I rejected SSP the last time I encountered it is because something in it had changed, and it was trying to put hooks into my browsers - or rather, Windows Defender blocked it from hooking into IE and asked if I wanted to allow it. I said no and killed the installation, perhaps (or, I hope) before it got as far as worming its way into FF or Chrome.

The change in SSP looked like an attempt to stay resident, perhaps to run at startup or on some schedule. It never used to do that - it was just a one-time quick scan - and I wasn't going to accept a program that behaved just like a PUP.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community