cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jen2011
Former Member
Message 1 of 108

Scheduled Scan not working

No matter what I try, I cannot seem to get my scheduled scanning to turn on.  I click "Turn On" and then I click "Apply."  I go back to the home tab, and check and it is still off.  I have tried the virtual assistant, and it found no problems.  I tried to uninstall and then reinstall, and that didn't fix the problem neither.  I really wish I could get this feature to work because it would be useful.  Any advice?

107 Replies
jen2011
Former Member
Message 2 of 108

Re: Scheduled Scan not working

Sorry, I meant virtual technician not virtual assistant.

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 108

You could start by checking your time and date and time zone on your computer.Just click on your time and date on the right and it should open.If all of this is correct,It could pertain to the so called smart timer.I have had this problem since I had this version of Mcafee.My scan never goes off when schedueled.I believe if all your settings are correct.The problem may be with the smart timer.They have it rigged to go off after cpu is below 10% for 10 minutes i think.If you have your computer on and you are using it.I dont think it will start scanning untill you stop working on computer.Then it has to be below that cpu margin for 10 minutes.At least I think that`s how it works.

joonlily
Former Member
Message 4 of 108

I have been having the exact same problem. I contacted chat support yesterday, and per their instruction uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee, but the scheduled scan still will now stay on when I turn it on. I will let you know if I find out how to fix this.

Message was edited by: joonlily on 5/16/11 7:36:08 PM CDT
jen2011
Former Member
Message 5 of 108

Most definitely let me know if you figure out how to fix it...the uninstall/reinstall definitely isn't helping us.  Maybe they will figure something else out.  It is like it turns on and automatically turns itself back off.  It makes no sense.  Keep me updated and I will do the same for you if I figure anything out.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 6 of 108

Hi,

You may restart your computer in safe mode and try to change schedule scan setting and turn it on. Restart the computer to normal mode and let me know if it fixed the issue with schedule scan..

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 108

Maybe this not what you are asking or is the setting not sticking?

Scheduled scan will not start immediately. In 2011 version it is controlled by a feature called idle timer which waits for the PC to be on low cpu use for a period. It will though start at scan time +2hrs.

In 2010 Sceduled scan is controlled by smart timer It has similiar issues ie

"The 2010 version has a new feature called Smart Timer that sees if the PC is in use and holds off updating till it is idle."

Both can cause angst it is intended to have a disable featuire or some way to up the cpu usage test in a patch later this year.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/05/11 7:26:53 PM
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 8 of 108

jen2011 wrote:

No matter what I try, I cannot seem to get my scheduled scanning to turn on.  I click "Turn On" and then I click "Apply."  I go back to the home tab, and check and it is still off.  I have tried the virtual assistant, and it found no problems.  I tried to uninstall and then reinstall, and that didn't fix the problem neither.  I really wish I could get this feature to work because it would be useful.  Any advice?

Hi jen2011,

The way you wrote your problem, does not explain it well.

If you go to Scheduled Scan:, does it state On or Off?

There is no Apply to click if Scheduled Scan is already turned on! Unless you are changing the Date and Time for the Scheduled Scan to start.

Post a Screen Snapshot of the Window you are talking about in a reply. Keep people from guessing.

pretzelle
Contributor
Message 9 of 108

I have the same problem with Total Protection.

I go to Scheduled Scanning.

Scheduled Scans is Off

I click Turn On

I set a schedule (or accept the default of Friday at 4 am)

I click Apply

I go to the home page.

I go back to Scheduled Scans and it is still Off

No matter what I do Scheduled Scanning will not remain on. I've tried restarting and reinstalling, no luck.

I hope this explains it a bit better although I thiink jen2011 described it well.

I just installed Total Protection on a Win 7 machine, and everything else works fine.

Thanks for any help.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 108

So it is off you turn it on and make setting's changes. Then click appy and what happens do you see it change or is it only when You reopen Mcafee?

Ok reread your post you go to the start page of Mcafee security centre and then back to scheduled scan and it is off. this after you applied the on setting.

Have you uninstalled reinstalled the program yet as sometimes an install gets messedup.

Uninstall

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Reinstall from your account

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/05/11 6:26:23 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community