Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grannysue
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Rosetta Stone update

Jump to solution

I have been using Rosetta Stone to learn spanish for a year. They have now updated the software and it will not work. After several live chats will their technicians i have been told to scrap my McAfee virus software. I do not want to do this. Has anyone else had this problem. Can you help?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Re: Rosetta Stone update

Jump to solution

grannysue wrote:

No I dont get any messages my Rosetta Stone sticks on the yellow rectangle opening page

So ... no error messages, no warnings. The program just won't get started. It could be the firewall, I suppose.

Open up Security Center (double-click on the McAfee shield at bottom right)

Click on Firewall, then on Settings

Click on 'Internet Connections for Programs' (and wait ...)

In the list of programs find Rosetta Stone

To the right of the program name you will see the permissions the program has to access the internet, and 'On' or 'Off' (which refers to Netguard). The permission should be 'Outgoing' or 'Full'. Netguard can probably be switched off. Use the Edit button to change either of those fields.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

The last time there was a problem with this program it was because McAfee was detecting it, or part of it, as malicious software (a Trojan). You don't say if this is the case now; just that Rosetta Stone no longer works after it was updated. Do you see any messages from McAfee when you run the program?

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Also check in navigation quarantined and trusted items and see if any of its files are there.

grannysue
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

No I dont get any messages my Rosetta Stone sticks on the yellow rectangle opening page

grannysue
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

I'm not sure how to do that. Am I looking in a McAfee file?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

grannysue wrote:

So ... no error messages, no warnings. The program just won't get started. It could be the firewall, I suppose.

Open up Security Center (double-click on the McAfee shield at bottom right)

Click on Firewall, then on Settings

Click on 'Internet Connections for Programs' (and wait ...)

In the list of programs find Rosetta Stone

To the right of the program name you will see the permissions the program has to access the internet, and 'On' or 'Off' (which refers to Netguard). The permission should be 'Outgoing' or 'Full'. Netguard can probably be switched off. Use the Edit button to change either of those fields.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

The area I was talking about was open security centre and click on Navigation top right. then go down to Quarantined and trusted items and see if Rosetta stone files are shown as quarantined.

grannysue
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

This has worked. Thank you.

I did not know how yo allow Rosetta Stone through the firewall and stop other programs.

Do you know what Rosetta Stone are doing to my computer that they need this access? I hope it is safe.

grannysue
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

THere were no quarantined viruses from Rosetta Stone so I used Peacemakers reply allow the program to access my computer. Thank you both for a speedy solution.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Actually it was hayton's reply and I am Peacekeeper not Peacemaker but who is complaining . Good to see working now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community