Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rayezilla
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Repeated Issues installing Mcafee on Freshly Installed Computers

Hi everyone,

I have been helping my family members with their computers. I installed three of them with fresh, legitimate copies of Windows 7. I used the correct OEM drivers. Each one is a different manufacturer, (dell, HP, lenovo). These computers have never felt the soul sucking pain of an antivirus or virus, they are like Adam and Eve in the Garden.

I hit them with ninite.com, firefox, runtimes, adobe reader, 7-zip. I installed adblockplus and Web of Trust.

I get the mcafee installer file from their website. I'm not a fan of this software but it's what they have.

It will not install. Oh, at least it gives me a descriptive message: error:0.

On. Each. Computer.

Google's answers are worthless. Mcafee 'support' is worthless (they did everything I did, and also dropped IE's security settings to nil and then did not set them back to defaults after giving up. Good thing I watched them work. Please help me out with this, I want to move on with my life.

14 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: Repeated Issues installing Mcafee on Freshly Installed Computers

Moved from Malware Discussion > Consumer > General Discussion > Discussions

Do you by chance have the Service Request # associated with your assistance by Support? I assume that your installation

included Service Pack 1.Fully updated to include Internet Explorer 11.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 15

As CD asked post the job number they gave you. Also I have pinged the forum tech to have a comment when he has time.

rayezilla
Former Member
Message 4 of 15

Unfortunately the tech gave me the number over the phone and I did not have the foresight to take it down. Also I'm not looking to get the guy in trouble. I just want this antivirus to install.

And yes, I had all updates and SP1.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

Are these machines Windows 7 SP1 running IE11 and fully updated?

Are you positive that they have no other anti-virus installed?

Another question where are you loading the installer file from?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

Another thought, basic things such as Java and Flash etc. would need to be installed.  Be on the look out for unwanted "Optional" software with the latter though.

Also I would hope the machines all meet the minimum system requirements for hardware. Internet Security, Email Spam Protection, Online Backup | Internet Security | McAfee

Hint: try saving the installer to the desktop first.,  Right-click it and go to Properties and unblock.

Make sure you are logged in as an Admin-level user and then install.  Make sure you are connected to the Internet at all times.

rayezilla
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

They are completely fresh installs, I used Diskpart to remove the old windows install. All legitimate licenses and activated, all windows updates. I used an SP1 64bit disc to install them, I can give you the technet number if you want.

rayezilla
Former Member
Message 8 of 15

hmmm good advice on flash, i do not have that installed yet. I will give that a shot.

I get the installer by logging onto the mcafee website under my cousin's email and click the 'add computer' button. I have been running it from the downloads folder. They do meet minimum spec, the oldest is a core i5 2nd gen, all have 4GB RAM.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

As Peacekeeper mentioned in Post #2, I was asking for a Service Request # as our Resident Tier 2.5 Tech/Engineer could possibly have looked at the logs.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

That's very odd. I've installed 100's of times and rarely had any problems with it and that's running anything from Win XP up to Win 10. All I can suggest is calling Tech Support and asking them to escalate the previous ticket to a higher level technician.

The front line ones are trained to do only the standard things so escalation would be your best bet.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community