cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swill
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Relatively new to McAfee, so how do product updates work?

Jump to solution

Hello, I've just switched from Norton to McAfee as I find McAfee less obtrusive, not least because of the fact you can choose which components/features to set up during the McAfee installation process, whereas Norton swamps your computer with a toolbar for every browser, amongst other things that I find unnecessary, straight off the bat..

I started toying with the idea of switching to McAfee a few weeks ago when I installed my ISP's McAfee-based security product (BT's NetProtect Plus offering if anyone's interested), whilst I knew this wasn't based on the latest version of McAfee SecurityCenter, which a Google search told me was version 14, I also knew it'd give me an idea of what to expect because looking at screenshots online it was apparent that McAfee hasn't undergone many front-end changes in recent years.

I decided I liked McAfee and bought a retail card for the latest version of LiveSafe from Argos for only £19.99 (on it's own, I didn't have to buy a new PC to get it at that price, much to my surprise). I have installed the relevant McAfee products onto the Windows computers, Android phones and tablets in my family home, without headache. I can see from the 'About' window that I am caught up with the latest build of SecurityCenter, which is good and brings me onto my actual question...

I know that McAfee software from third-party service providers or computer manufacturers is not always kept up-to-date in keeping with current McAfee product lines, but will my vanilla McAfee retail card 'subscription' entitle me to the latest McAfee software, particularly at the end of the year when the '2016' product line will probably be released?

If so, what are other peoples past experiences of update delivery, are they delivered to your computer automatically like daily protection updates or do you need to remove your current version and download the new one through your account (to clarify I'm talking major upgrades like from 13.0 to 14.0, not minor updates, ie. from 13.0 to 13.1)?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Re: Relatively new to McAfee, so how do product updates work?

Jump to solution

To answer your question rather quickly, as long as you are 'Actively Subscribed' yes indeed

In addition, McAfee has been a Part of Intel for some while now.

All the very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

6 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Moved to General Discussion > Discussions

You can be self assured that as long as you have a Active subscription, your Version/Builds will be Auto Updated. And yes if your McAfee Protection if purchased from your ISP/OS Manufacturer/Third Party-Resellers may indeed lag behind in regards to the latest Version/Build.

However you can be self -assured that your 'Engine Versions" should be the same as if you purchased it from McAfee directly (Affld:0)

Regards

Catdaddy

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
swill
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response, the 'About' window in SecurityCenter shows 'AffId:0' so I assume that means I am treated as though I purchased the software directly from McAfee?

So say there was a major overhaul in the 2016 product line, what with the talks of McAfee being re-branded as Intel Security, my software would automatically fetch the new version for me?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

To answer your question rather quickly, as long as you are 'Actively Subscribed' yes indeed

In addition, McAfee has been a Part of Intel for some while now.

All the very Best

Catdaddy

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
swill
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for the clarification re updates, that's good news.

Also, I know that the Intel name has appeared alongside McAfee for a while, but articles like this suggest McAfee will eventually cease to exist and it'll all be referred to as 'Intel Security'. For example 'Intel LiveSafe' and 'Intel Total Protection' etc. It's a tad confusing as to what direction they are going in though.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

We know as much as you on that score but last thing I was told was that the software will always be there, just the branding will change with time. 

As CD has said, as long as subscriptions are paid, then updates/upgrades etc. are all automatic.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

I might add that even though McAfee is indeed a 'Part of Intel Security" there leadership and cutting edge Technology, is respected amongst all, as this article clearly represents:

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community