Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
didgeridont
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Recently installed most recent version of McAfee Total Protection, Issues

Hello, few issues here.

Roughly a week ago, I re-subscribed and installed McAfee Total Protection, which is the 3rd or 4th time I have updated my software in the last few years. I'm not 100% sure if this is directly related to the installation of McAfee Total Protection, however i'm giving this a shot anyway.

Immediately after installing Total Protection, once the computer had been rebooted, all files and folders that had been on my desktop had dissapeared. In it's place was the state that the desktop was in when I originally purchased my PC.  I performed a search and all the folders still existed on the computer however they were now in the c:/user/temp folder. As well, all my settings in Vista had changed back to the default settings. To worsen matters, 3 days after these problems first occured, the computers' settings and the folders and icons on my desktop suddenly returned to their previous state, minus roughly 100 gigabytes worth of random folders which were suddently deleted.

On top of this, my internet would only stay online for short periods of time and then would disconnect. For the past week, i've had to unplug my modem and plug it back in numerous times over the course of the day, after which it works for a brief time.

I have had McAfee programs on my computer for years, and virus and firewall problems had never been an issue. When I currently run a scan, there are no trojans or virus, so I can't help but think that the new McAfee Total Protection being installed resulted in these changes in my settings, and the issues i'm having with my internet connection.

Can anyone provide me with some insight on these matters, and if the problem is not with McAfee, where it might be coming from? Keep in mind that my computer is 8 months old and I hadn't had any such problems until immediatly after the McAfee Total Protection install.

Thank you.

1 Reply
Elurion
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Re: Recently installed most recent version of McAfee Total Protection, Issues

That is very strange. I never ear that. You can to try a Scan with Stinger and Aurora Stinger. http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.aspx (McAfee Tools). I found in google this tools

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community