cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigJ
Former Member
Message 151 of 231

Re: Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

SPyron wrote:

Hey Jerry, glad I could help!

Just a heads up, I know you're nervous about auto-updates after this, but the longer you wait between dat updates, the larger the "golden window" is (this is the window between when a new virus hits and a new dat comes down to catch it). It won't make you feel anymore comfort (I'm sure) to know that pretty much all security vendors have burned in the fire which we find ourselves now. As threats become smarter and more advanced, all security vendors must go one step further and beat them at the game. Unfortunately, sometimes this happens. McAfee actually has a very good reputation for not having this issue in the past. In the future, we'll win that reputation back. Today we have to get this resolved.

Somer I have Active Protection turned on under extended protection. Won't that keep me protercted while online till later at night when checking for latest dat?

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 4/23/10 10:24:49 AM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 152 of 231

Ok, turn on your computer and tap F11 (instead of F8) when the HP logo appears.

Depending on the BIOS version, your computer may display multiple prompts during startup including F11 to start System Recovery. Pressing the F11 key on a computer with an HP factory image will start System Recovery even if the prompt is not displayed.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 153 of 231

It will keep you protected from known threats, and it will use Artemis to detect suspicious behaviors. New things we discover between releases will be included in the next dat release (usually around 4pm CST daily).

nat38
Former Member
Message 154 of 231

Hi Somer and everyone from tech support,

I writing from France, as I haven't been able to talk to someone at phone support here, they seem just overwhelmed. I am trying now since yesterday all the solutions you guys post but any of them worked for me. I copied successfully the svchost.exe as you explained but nothing happens, I still have no internet connection, task bar white instead of blue, copy paste impossible, Security Center freezed....

I cannot run the sdat5958_em.exe file, because of the same error messages that some users got these days ("can't write the file", "open the specified registry key" etc)...I uninstalled Mcafee downloading the MCPR.exe, but wasn't able to reinstall it again...I even tried to copy svchost.exe from another computer, but everything I do is unsuccessful. Now, I'm stuck and don't know what to do to fix this issue. Any suggestions would definitively help me !

Thanks!

GarrettRan
Former Member
Message 155 of 231

Hi Somer,

My mother is having a problem with her Dell Desktop. She has no toolbars or start menu. When she tries to start in safe mode it will not take her password. I had her copy the file as you have instructed but that does no good since she can't log on. Do you have any suggestions. I had her call the technical support number that you posted on here yesterday. She called and was told that the problem would be resolved in 8 to 10 hours. She was given a different phone number with extension to call back along with a reference number. When she called that number there was no option to enter an extension. She called another number and was told that for $140 she could get assistance. I don't feel she should have to pay to get her computer running as it is McAfee's fault.

Garrett

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 156 of 231

I'm not sure what number you called to get the $140 charge, but you're correct, we will NOT charge to support this issue.

The biggest issue I see right now is not having that password. I assume she's tried all the usual passwords?

GarrettRan
Former Member
Message 157 of 231

The screen freezes and won't let her type in her password. I should have been more clear on that.

Garrett

dendo
Former Member
Message 158 of 231

Somer

this method has resurrected my system.  I am up and running again with DAT 5960 in operation.  After inputting all the info as detailed and restarting my PC I used System Restore to get back to 19th April and after this was done I took a chance and updated my Security Centre which fortunately updated to DAT 5960 so all is well again.

It has been an interesting few days for me (retired) and I fully sympathise with clients of McAfee who are still in employment as the time taken to resolve the problem is very lengthy.

Many thanks for your help on this my very first problem with McAfee security.

Regards       Dendo  

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 159 of 231

Garrett,

Has she got a wireless keyboard/mouse?

GarrettRan
Former Member
Message 160 of 231

No she has a wired keyboard and mouse.

Garrett

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community