cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 61 of 231

Re: Received DCOM shutdown immed. after today's update.

Audio driver..? That's a totally new one on me.

Please watch this space. I will be updating in minutes with a tool to fix this.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 62 of 231

I'm really sorry that you've had so much trouble today. We're all working here to get this taken care of, and will have a tool live in just a few more minutes to help the people who still have issues despite those previous steps.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 63 of 231

Please watch this space. I will be updating in minutes with a tool to fix this.

meleaky
Former Member
Message 64 of 231

tks

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 65 of 231

Hey everyone, here's a link to the tool and the steps to run it!!

1. From a working computer, download http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/tools/SDAT5958_EM.exe and save it to a removable media (eg: Thumb Drive, CDROM).
  2. Start the affected computer in Safe Mode (When booting, press F8 and choose Safe Mode).
  3. Copy the SDAT5958_EM.EXE file to your desktop.
  4. Run the SDAT5958_EM.EXE tool.
  5. Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.
  6. Delete the DAT folder.
  7. Restart the computer normally.
  8. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.

If you are unable to get access to a working computer to download the tool above, you can manually replace the svchost.exe file using the steps in FAQ article http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100970http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100970.

meleaky
Former Member
Message 66 of 231

No go.  I get unable to write to file

LyndyLou
Contributor
Message 67 of 231

Thanks Somer, your first fix on Page1 worked perfectly for me. Problem discovered, researched and solved all within one hour!

Obviously it's not ideal to have problems to solve, but I'm well chuffed with the outcome. Thanks a lot for your help

Message was edited by: LyndyLou on 22/04/10 03:56:20 CDT
blueknight
Former Member
Message 68 of 231

i understand mcafee pushed out a malformed security patch on wednesday that wound up crippling computers running windows xp is this what you are calling "dcom"?

and, i just recently bought your software a week ago and had it installed then, my computer has been off and offline all day wednesday, so i don't think i downloaded the patch, my question is:  is it safe to turn on my computer on thursday afternoon or friday even, now that the flaw has been found or do i need to go through all the fixes you list here and the ones i see on sites like cnet and other web sites, before i can use or turn on my computer?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 69 of 231

If your computer has been off all day Wednesday it would not have downloaded the 5958 DAT file, and should automatically update to 5959 and be fine.

blueknight
Former Member
Message 70 of 231

where on the screen does it show 58 or 59

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community