cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astor
Contributor II
Message 1 of 8

Real-Time scanning would not stay on until the new update was installed

I was experiencing a weird problem today.  Each time I rebooted (since today) and open McAfee SecurityCenter I see the message "Your Real-Time Scanning is starting up".  After a while it gives up and says "Your computer is at risk. Real-Time Scanning is Off.  I ran the Technician tool and it picked up no problems. I'm using version 14.0.5120.  I check for updates and it appears it has installed something new but not sure if it succeeded as the version number hasn't changed - could have been just a signature update.  It says something was installed.  I rebooted the PC and the same problem arises.  I do another manual check for updates, and again it installs something.  Version number hasn't changed but the real-time scanning is now operational.  I reboot the PC again to make sure, and the problem comes back - real-time scanning is turned off and repeated attempts to start it manually fail.  I check for updates again and the same thing happens again. I repeated the whole cycle 4 or 5 times (lost count).  Sometimes it would also warn me the firewall is not turned on.  One more attempt and this time it has installed a new version - 6120. Real-time scanning is now operational.  I reboot to make sure and now everything is fine.  I check for updates one more time and it says I'm up-to-date (as expected). I do not know what the hell was going on but for a while I was concerned. I hope it's all now OK.  Will find out tomorrow when I turn my PC back on.  I did install new updates for Windows 7 (Dell PC) over a week ago but didn't have the McAfee problem until today.  A new version of Firefox was also installed 5 days ago, but again it was all fine until today.  Haven't installed anything else for a long time. The only other thing I did differently on the last attempt that worked is I logged in as Administrator.  My normal account does not have admin privs (for security reasons).  Previously I never had a need to do that - all previous updates appeared to work find via my normal account.  Doesn't explain why real-time scanning was temperamental.   It's as though McAfee knew a new version was available and because it wasn't installed it refused to work properly with the previous release.  Perhaps the previous attempts to install the update corrupted something.  Any ideas?

7 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Real-Time scanning would not stay on until the new update was installed

It seems that you were finally 'Upgraded' to a new Build. It does require sometimes to reboot to finish the Installation. Since you have already ran the MVT Tool, and all is reporting no issues. I would monitor it to see if anything untoward occurs.

Like today if it updates properly, and all indications are that it is functioning properly. If further issues arise, you can always Do a Fresh install. Remove from  your Control Panel/Features/Programs/Restart. Then run the MCPR Tool/Restart. Then install from your account.

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

It shouldn't happen but I've seen the same here occasionally when an update is slow to arrive.   Make sure your system clock is accurate, time.date and time-zone of course.  Hopefully you are OK now though?

astor
Contributor II
Message 4 of 8

New day and it booted fine.  Must have been a hiccup trying to update everything.  I checked and all components have yesterdays' date.  Odd that it finally worked after I logged in as Administrator - perhaps confidence, or perhaps not.  If not then I expect many others will experience the same problem if they use accounts without admin privs.  Perhaps what happened is one components was installed but was incompatible with others until they too were installed.  If that's the case, why didn't the whole update install in one bundle? Anyway, all appears fine now.

astor
Contributor II
Message 5 of 8

Yes catdaddy, that was my next step - remove and re-install. I've done that 2 or 3 times over the years

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Haven't we all....LOL

Glad you are OK.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

I am also glad to hear your Software is functioning properly

Have a 'Happy New Year'

All the Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
astor
Contributor II
Message 8 of 8

Thank you; Happy New Year to you too. Just hope others don't experience what I did.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community