Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadco
Former Member
Message 1 of 27

Real Time Scanning suddenly went off and thereafter would not stay on

Jump to solution

I last had this problem in Aug 2010. I am not sure how I solved it.

I hadn't been doing anything unusual with the Laptop and I had been enjoying troublefree running. The only thing that I had noticed is that there had been more than the usual number of McAffee updates with the normal request of a restart. My wife with her own Laptop with McAfee  didn't seem to have had as many updates.

This time I ran Virtual Technician which showed ( to my surprise)92 problems found. I continued with the MVT hoping that it would solve all problems ( it usually does but with only say 1 or two problems)

Mvt stopped with the error message "The file -mfenlfk.sys- on McAfee NDIS Light Filter is needed "  "Type the path where the file is located and then click OK"

I have no idea where the file is located.

My Actions :-

Use Removal Tool and restart.

Run Mcpreinstall Tool.

Re-Download Programs

During what seemed to be during the latter stages of the re-download I got the same above error message ........"mfenlfk etc. etc.     Help!

I should be grateful of any help.

ps.          If needed, I could try and send a copy of the error message. Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 27

Re: Real Time Scanning suddenly went off and thereafter would not stay on

Jump to solution

Tony being in Australia is asleep at the moment so I'll add my 2¢ - worth.

First you should bring your machine totally up to date by installing Internet Explorer 9 if not already installed (from Microsoft's website or Windows Updates), and Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

Note: Uninstall any beta browsers or applications before installing the final versions.

There's help with the latter here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205

If you had McAfee installed on that machine at any time run the MCPR removal tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page and reboot.

Then uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials and reboot if asked to.

Run the McAfee Preinstall Tool just to make sure the machine is ready, reboot if asked to.

Then go to your online account and install your McAfee software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/11 9:55:52 EDT AM

View solution in original post

26 Replies
lilzoonette
Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue. I have used the removal tool, restarted, ran the Mcpreinstall Tool and tried redownloading McAfee. My error message reads:

The file 'mfenlfk.sys' on McAfee NDIS Light Filter is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

Please help as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 27

Jump to solution

Dadco there was an issue weekend previously that has been fixed. Sorry I missed your post. Is everything Ok now?

Lilzoonette 

No other AV or firewall installed? Windows firewall off?

Retry it again today and see if issue prevails

lesa
Contributor
Message 4 of 27

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue while installing the download from my account on McAfee site--as the solution suggested.  I'd like this corrected quickly.

No other AV running, Windows Firewall is off. 

Solution please.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 27

Jump to solution

Reported issue

dadco
Former Member
Message 6 of 27

Jump to solution

From Dadco.

I haven't used McAffee on this PC since I Posted the original Problem. I tried to Download etc. but the problem repeated itself.

At that time Microsoft Security Essentuals seem to " kick In " and I have been using this Microsoft software ever since.

I am a McAfee 3 User and this software runs OK on my other 2 PC's. I would like to try again the McAfee Dowload procedure.

Therefore, it would be helpful if you would let me know ( in simple terms ) the download instructions including the cleanout/removal procedures. I would like to make sure that to start with all Old copies of McAffee Software is completely cleared out.

I hope to hear from you.  Regards.            dadco.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 27

Jump to solution

Tony being in Australia is asleep at the moment so I'll add my 2¢ - worth.

First you should bring your machine totally up to date by installing Internet Explorer 9 if not already installed (from Microsoft's website or Windows Updates), and Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

Note: Uninstall any beta browsers or applications before installing the final versions.

There's help with the latter here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205

If you had McAfee installed on that machine at any time run the MCPR removal tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page and reboot.

Then uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials and reboot if asked to.

Run the McAfee Preinstall Tool just to make sure the machine is ready, reboot if asked to.

Then go to your online account and install your McAfee software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/11 9:55:52 EDT AM
dadco
Former Member
Message 8 of 27

Jump to solution

So far so good.  Thank you.

Problem !!    I go to Useful Links at the top of this page, click on MCPR removal tool and get message " not recognised ".

If you could tell me what is wrong, I would be grateful.

dadco.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 27

Jump to solution

Ok here's the MCPR removal tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Let me research why that link would say that as it works OK for me.

I'll get back on that one.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/11 12:48:08 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 27

Jump to solution

What browser and version are you using ??

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community