Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_31053
Contributor
Message 1 of 30

Real Time Scanning Deletes Itunesprefs.xml

Hi all,

I noticed since yesterday that when I have McAfee real time scanning running, I am having problems with ITunes.  ITunes keeps starting up in default mode and losing my library and all my settings.

It looks to me like real time scanning is somehow preventing the creation of the Itunesprefs.xml file as it seems to vanish most of the time when I close ITunes, if real time scanning is running.

I've seen reports of this issue from 2 years ago but it looked like it was resolved back then.  Seems to me it is now coming back (or something similar).

Anyone else having this issue?

thanks

29 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 30

Re: Real Time Scanning Deletes Itunesprefs.xml

Moved to Consumer >General Discussion > Discussions

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 30

It is quite possible that a Colleague will pick up this thread,and add to the discussion. As he if I am not terribly mistaken, use ITunes as well.

Regards

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 30

My itunesprefs.xml file is intact.  We had a scare about the same thing a while back and it was a case of the software delaying it because it was acting in an odd way, but not deleting it.

See: 

Are you sure it is actually deleted?  Is it in the Quarantined and Trusted Items folders?  (Navigation > Scroll down).

There have also been long discussions at Apple Forums about it in the past:  Why does iTunes delete my itunesprefs.xml? | Apple Support Communities

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 30

Thanks Peter As I am 'Unversed' in regards to the subject matter.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_31053
Contributor
Message 6 of 30

It seems to be slightly sporadic - in some cases when I closed ITunes, the iTunesprefs file vanished, and even after a few minutes, it did not return.

In other cases, I saw the file disappear for a few seconds, and then come back again.

As far as I can tell, if I have real time scanning disabled, this issue never happens (tried 3 times and no issue).

I have added the file to my exclude file list in Security Center, but I'm not sure whether this applies to real time scanning or only scheduled scan (and also not sure if this is a good idea as a long term solution)?

FYI - I have been using McAfee for years as it's supplied free with my ISP, and this is the first time I had this issue.  I don't think this happened to me back in 2013 when there are other threads on Apple and here about it.

I have also taken a backup of this prefs file and I can copy it in again if it's missing, but obviously that's not an ideal solution.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 30

Not sure what to do - obviously itunesprefs.xml is acting "suspiciously" and the scanner is making doubly sure it's OK and genuine.

On the occasions it doesn't appear with Real-Time Scanning on , is it in the Quarantine folder?

Unless it's in there there's nothing really we can do.  It's up to Apple to do their coding correctly (they have a habit of not doing so).

BTW I wouldn't turn off RTS just for this.

user_118535
Former Member
Message 8 of 30

Hi,

Would it be possible to share following log files?

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Logs

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MCLOGS

Please zip the contents of these 2 folders and share the same.

Thanks,

Manoj

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 30

Could you please confirm if you are still having issues? So as we can update this thread as to whether you still need assistance or not?

Thank You,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_31053
Contributor
Message 10 of 30

It's a bit patchy but it seems better now.

I am still sometimes getting the copyright warning when I open ITunes as if it's the first time I've opened, but, it hasn't deleted my prefs file completely the last few days.

This morning it actually worked fully normally so I am still monitoring it but it may have resolved itself now.  Not sure how as I haven't changed anything that I'm aware of.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community