Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andre42
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Real-Time Scanner is blocking software development tools

Hi,

since I use McAfee Total Protection, I have an issue with the real-time scanner:

Every time I compile with MinGW (GCC compiler for windows) or with Unity3D, I get access errors on temporary files. When I disable the Real-Time Scanner, the errors disappear.

It seems, that the real-time scanner shortly access the newly creates temporary files and this blocks the processes from the compiler to work correctly.

Unfortunately I did not find a way to disable the real-time scan for those temporary working directories. I can just exclude single files, but since those files are creates on mass temporary the exclude file feature does not help here.

What I need is a exclude directory feature or something like that (also for directories that have not been created so far).

At the moment the only solution for me is to completely disable real-time scan every time I want to develop any software. But it is somehow annoying for me to pay money for a super cool anti-virus tool when I have to disable all the time the real-time scanner to be able to work on my computer.

Is there any chance to get a exclude directory feature in any upcoming versions?

Best regards,

André

P.S.: There are a several of threads in the internet, that addressing those issues:
How to solve "Internal compiler error."? - Unity Answers

Access to C:/Users//Documents//Temp/Assembly-CSharp.dll.mdb is denied. - Unity Answers
MinGW Fix Permission Denied LD and Error 1 - GeekThis

8 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Real-Time Scanner is blocking software development tools

Moved to Consumer > General Discussion > Discussions

Hopefully one of the Resident Forum Support Techs pick up this thread, and can add to the Discussion. You can always contact Technical Support 24/7 (Free). Via Online Chat/Phone being most expedient.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

If I remember correctly, the exclude folder feature was dropped a few years ago in the consumer products because malware writers realized that if they found one, they could work with impunity - thus more people got hit with viruses.  it's in the enterprise class products still though.

So no, I don't think we'll see it come back.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 9

Re: Re: Real-Time Scanner is blocking software development tools

Am with Support and in my Virus Removal experience most of the nasty detections are located in the Temp directory or at least during the initial stages of infection. So it's practically impossible to exclude the Temp directory from Scanning. As the name indicates RTS scans files in Real Time whichever the user accesses and am afraid we are stuck.

andre42
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Re: Re: Real-Time Scanner is blocking software development tools

@SafeBoot and @Chinthanai
Thanks for your answer.

However, when excluding those directories in unsafe, what is then the solution for my issue?

andre42
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Maybe I was not clear enough about this. I also wonder why this topic has been moved to "discussion", since this is not a discussion from my point of view.
For me it is clear and big issue with the McAfee Anti-Virus product.

I don't get the point, why I should buy an Anti-Virus software where I have to switch off a very important feature every day, since otherwise I cannot do my daily work.

So either we (the McAfee Support and me) can find a solution for that issue, or I definitely have to cancel my subscription for your products and buy an Anti-Virus software that does not block me from my daily work.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Maybe the authors of MinGW would be a good place to look for help? Since no one is reporting this problem with other programs - it would seem likely the problem is with MinGW, not McAfee?

Or, you could use the business version of McAfee, not the consumer version (Virus Scan Enterprise)?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

In regards to the question as to (Why) your thread was moved to (General Discussion). I chose to do so where it would gain more exposure/attention. As you can see it did. However, I would be more than glad to move it to 'Virus Scan', should you so wish.

Kind Regards,

CD/Catdaddy

Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
FUMacFee
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

took we a week to discover that ur program caused permission denied when I tried to use make under minGW - I HATE U !!
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community