cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
not_available
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Re-Install McAfee

I have decided to re-install McAfee.  I have followed the method out lined on [ http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100342 ] titled "How to install McAfee Consumer Product".

My issue with the process is that it removed any current protection before downloading the install files.  To put this in perspective; McAfee goes crazy if it goes a week without checking for updates.  "Your Computer is at Risk" even though every thing is running.  But its perfectly fine to spend a while (depending on internet connection speed) connected to the internet with out an active firewall or virus scanner.  Why can't the installer download all the necessary files before uninstalling and rebooting the system?  That  way an active internect connection wouldn't be necessary while the system was unprotected. 

Am I to assume from these behaviors by McAfee that it is safer to be connected to the internet without a McAfee firewall/virus scanner than it is to be connected to the world with McAfee software that hasn't check for updates in a few days?

Is there a way to download a complete install wich would not require an internet connection during install process?

4 Replies
stanisluv
Contributor III
Message 2 of 5

Re: Re-Install McAfee

You can`t download solid installer because McAfee simply hasn`t it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

You are protected by Windows Firewall and as long as you're only connected to McAfee you're safe.    If the installer had all the files it would be enormous.   This way you get the very latest version of everything rather than what is contained in a file that may be weeks or months old.

stanisluv
Contributor III
Message 4 of 5

Sometimes solid instller could be very helpfull. For example when you want to install McAfee on PC without Internet.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

I suppose so but the software would immediately throw up errors as it would start polling for updates as soon as installation was finished.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community