cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unhappy123
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Problems, Problems, Problems

I am using Windows 7 Starter with Google Chrome.  I have IE9 installed but am not using it as my main browser.  Whenever McAfee Internet Security Suite runs an update I have the following problems: my computer freezes up, pages won't load, pages become unresponsive and my Flash player crashes.  The updates take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 1/2 hours to update during which time I cannot use my computer.  Also the automatic scan does not start at 4:00 a.m..  It will start running either at noon or 2 p.m. which really slows down my computer so I always have to stop the scan.  I was finally able to get McAfee Virtual Technician up and running and all it found was one registry error.  Does anyone know what is causing all of these problems and how they can be fixed?  I literally scream now every time that I see an update running.  Hope you are having a better day than me.

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problems, Problems, Problems

Technical Support available through Useful Links at the top of this page may be able to troubleshoot this better than us.   It's a free phone call or you can use the online Chat.

The first thing that comes to mind here would be lack of resources on the computer...what kind of processor does the motherboard have and how fast is it and how much memory (RAM) is installed?

Also is this Windows 7 SP1?   You can tell that by right-clicking 'Computer' on your desktop or Start Menu and selecting Properties.    

Could you also tell us what version of McAfee is installed by double-clicking the taskbar icon, opening SecurityCenter and then clicking 'About'.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/01/12 7:13:28 EST AM
keiooz
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

This type of problem may depend on a lot of things including your memory, GPU, harddrive and motherboard. Anything that includes your whole system. You can check if you have met the requirements for the McAfee software you are running.

unhappy123
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Security Center version 11.0

Virus Scan version 15.0

Personal firewall version 12.0

Site Advisor version 3.4

Anti-spam version 12.0

Parental Control version 13.0

C drive 105 GB free of 136 GB

D drive 5.71 MB free of 983 MB

Processor Intel(R) Atom (TM) CPU N450  @ 1.66 GHz 1.67 GHz

Installed memory (RAM) 1.0 GB

System type: 32 bit operating system

Windows 7 Starter Service Pack 1

Hope this helps.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

I have a netbook with similar specs and find it slow at the best of times compared with my PC and although McAfee (or any security suite as I've discovered) does slow it a bit, as it's already slow, I guess I could live with it.

The 1gb RAM is the minimum requirement for Windows 7 and that may be the cause.

You might want to contact Technical Support either by phone or online chat, both free, to discuss the problem and see if they can suggest anything that might speed things up.

They are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

flogger
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

I think it may be a software issue. Try to reinstall the OS and see if it makes a difference.

Make sure to back up your files.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

You're running with not much more than the minimum spec required for Windows 7, according to Microsoft.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/system-requirements

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

PCs with multi-core processors:

Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

Peacekeeper
    Message 8 of 8

I would agree with Peter a atom Cpu is not the speediest at the best of times and a full Mcafee suite loaded would not run well. One thought is to uninstall it fully via the method here

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall only the Virusscan/ firewall and siteadvisor components. That might help the load on the program. You do this via choosing a custom install. Not sure it would help but a thought.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
    Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community