Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrick_crotty
Contributor II
Message 1 of 5

Problem with new update of Anti Virus Ver 16.8

Jump to solution

I have 4 computers on a home network.  Two computers have updated to Ver 16.8 no problem.  They are running Windows Vista and Windows 8.  The other two computers are both running XP.  One of the XP computers will not update at all to Ver 16.8 and the other one updated to Ver 16.8, but the real time scanner will not stay On.  My ISP is Brighthouse.

The computer that is not updating is at the update screen and the icons is rotating as if downloading, but it remains 0% complete.

The computer that will not turn the real time scanner on allows you to turn it on, but it shuts it off again.  If it is rebooted, it says the McAfee has a updated to install, Ok, it then installs it and the the real time scanner goes off.

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

Re: Problem with new update of Anti Virus Ver 16.8

Jump to solution

Hi patrick_crotty,

If the update seems to loop in continuously then there might be issues with the Corrupt Content files of McAfee Application. Try the below steps in both XP machines (1 -> Update failing 2-> RTS turned Off) and see if the issue vanishes..!

1) Uninstall McAfee from Control Panel

2) Run the MCPR removal tool from this link

3) Restart the computer and Login to McAfee using home.mcafee.com

4) Download McAfee installer for the correct computer by verifying the Computer Name in PC and in Dashboard as well (Re-install will do)

5) Initiate the installation and wait for it to complete.

6) Reboot the machine after Successful Installation and check if the version of AntiVirus is 16.8

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Try running the Virtual Technician on that machine to see if it finds and fixes errors:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Make sure the XP machines have IE8 installed, even if you do not use it, McAfee does and relies on it being up to date.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi patrick_crotty,

If the update seems to loop in continuously then there might be issues with the Corrupt Content files of McAfee Application. Try the below steps in both XP machines (1 -> Update failing 2-> RTS turned Off) and see if the issue vanishes..!

1) Uninstall McAfee from Control Panel

2) Run the MCPR removal tool from this link

3) Restart the computer and Login to McAfee using home.mcafee.com

4) Download McAfee installer for the correct computer by verifying the Computer Name in PC and in Dashboard as well (Re-install will do)

5) Initiate the installation and wait for it to complete.

6) Reboot the machine after Successful Installation and check if the version of AntiVirus is 16.8

Regards

patrick_crotty
Contributor II
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

I did as Ex_Brit suggested last night and found on both computers an update problem.  So I reinstalled software on one of the computers last night and it worked fine.  This morning I did the other one and it works as well.

Thanks for both of your suggestions; I'm up and running.

Patrick

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community