Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigmiken
Former Member
Message 1 of 27

Problem re-installing Internet Security 2011 on Windows 8

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but being a newbee i am still trying to find my way around.

Ok my problem is this i am trying to reinstall mcafee internet security suite 2011 on my wifes laptop after upgradeing from win7 pro where the suite was working fine to win8 pro. The download manager keeps telling me i need to restart my pc before i reinstall but you guessed it  i restart the laptop then restart the download manager (from my mcafee account ) and it tells me to restart my laptop

Any one got any ideas, i have trolled throught pages and pages of FAQ's but i am no closer and it is driving me up tthe wall. I have two other pc's both running the same version of windows 8 and they both run fine.

Any help would be great

Thanx

Mike

Message was edited by: Hayton - edited Subject Line to indicate problem -  on 12/11/12 14:58:12 GMT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bigmiken
Former Member
Message 22 of 27

Re: Problem re-installing Internet Security 2011 on Windows 8

Jump to solution

No not really Gladson the Techy went  so fast it was very difficult to see what and where he was so all i can say is he searched for startup then deleated some thing from there.  Like I say once he had narrowed it down it was all a blur here. Thanx to every one that offered me their help with this as i said right at the start it was a real mind blower and i could never have sorted it on my own i am sure.

So thanx all

Regards

Mike

Message was edited by: bigmiken on 16/11/12 05:02:02 CST

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Jump to solution

@bigmiken, I changed the Subject line so we can see better what the problem is when we look at the lists of posts, where that's all that displays.

bigmiken
Former Member
Message 3 of 27

Jump to solution

Thanx Hayton,

Lets see if it brings any solution, i must say also i have raised the issue with tech support but have no answer from there yet

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 27

Jump to solution

Sounds like there's a registry setting somewhere preventing or hindering re-installation. You ran MCPR?  If not, run it. There's also a pre-install tool, which may be necessary. I'm not an expert here, though, so I'll defer to those who know more about this sort of thing.

A thorough disk cleanup might also help by getting rid of temp files, cookies and so on.

bigmiken
Former Member
Message 5 of 27

Jump to solution

Hi Hayton

Thanx for your reply, i have lost count of the times i have run thr MCPR tool to no avail i have also given the hard drive a thorought clean and defrag and i am just going to give the pre-install  tool a go  i will post the results shortly.

Here's hopeing 

Mike

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 27

Jump to solution

BTW how are you installing?  From a CD?  2011 is not compatible with Windows 8 but if you install from the online account you should be able to get the correct version.

bigmiken
Former Member
Message 7 of 27

Jump to solution

@Hayton

no go still the same.

@ex_brit  i am trying to install from my on line account not CD. This is obviously an issue with the laptop as like i said i have installed via the same route on two other pc's with no trouble 

Regards Mike

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 27

Jump to solution

Just making sure....if I think of something I'll post back.

bigmiken
Former Member
Message 9 of 27

Jump to solution

@Ex_BRIT  thanx i think i need all the help i can get with this, i have been struggling with this for a couple of days now and my wife would like her laptop back lol

Mike

karthiks
Former Member
Message 10 of 27

Jump to solution

Hi,

Try the below steps and check the Issue

·         Open the Run Box

·         Type Msconfig.exe and say OK

·         Once the System Configuration windows opens, go to the Startup tab

·         Open the Task Manager

·         Once the Task Manager Windows Opens, search for $MCREBOOT$ and check it is enabled or disabled, if it is enabled, disabled it and close the windows

·         Retry the Installation

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community