cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AceH
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Problem extending McAfee subscription

McAfee Total Protectoin 2013 - 3 user...1 machine running Win XP SP3 (McAfee is fine), 1 computer running Win 8 (McAfee is fine), last computer running WIN VISTA Home Premium is the PROBLEM computer.

I have read the post regarding Total Protection 2013 not activating and I'm having the same issue with the 3 user product.  2 are successfully activated (see previous statement) but the last one is pure aggrivation.  I have followed the instructions in a previous post regarding this issue, http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101331, uninstalling McAfee, running the MCPR program then going to my account and downloading Mcafee.  Upon completion of the install, everything is fine however, a few minuites later McAfee says I have 7 days left until deactivation.  I have tried deactivating and reactivating many, many times but its not working.

P.S.  In my account the computer in question is listed as actived with the correct number of days left however, when I view the subscription information from the icon in the system tray it says 7 days until it deactivates.  I have been working on this on and off for the past 5 days.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problem extending McAfee subscription

It would appear that MCPR didn't remove everything.  Go to Vista (which I hope is SP2) Control Panel > Programs and uninstall everything McAfee from there.

Download a fresh copy of MCPR:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe  (Discard any others)

Run it and reboot taking note if it reported a successfuil run or not.

Run it again just in case and reboot.

Go to your online account and reinstall from there making sure it's from your current suvscription.

If that fails call or use the online chat to contact Technical Support.  It's free of charge and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

AceH
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Ex_Brit,

I dactivated the product, uninstalled it via windows VISTA uninstall manager then rebooted.  I ran the MCPR 3 times with "Removal Complete" each time.  From my account I downloaded and installed my latest subscription which expires 3/04/2014.  When I checked the subscription from the system tray icon everything was fine.  Three minutes later I get the same old problem "...subscription will deactivate in 7 days".  When I go to my account, the subscription for the computer in question is active and good with the correct expiration date 3/04/2014.

Since my account has the computer active with the correct expiration date of 3/04/2014, I'm going to wait until the 7 days have passed and see what happens.

P.S.  Ex_Brit I used the link you posted to download the latest version of the MCPR executable file.

Message was edited by: AceH on 3/16/13 10:21:48 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

That's very strange.   There must be a registry key hanging around from an old installation that is orphaned and for some reason MCPR hasn't picked it up.

Have you by any chance used any registry cleaners lately?  They sometimes can cause this sort of thing.

If it happens again Technical Support is your best bet, unless you want to go the really long and laborious registry cleanup method as shown in post #3 in THIS thread.

That should surely clean it up.

AceH
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Ex_Britt,

Problem SOLVED! 

After going through the entire uninstall and running MCPR program (again 3 times), the problem still existed.  I decided to check out the McAfee system tray icon right click contex menu.  I first tried the reactivate option, but that showed my product was activated even though I had the 7 day expire warning.  I finally tried the Verify Subscription option which came back "Subscription Verified" and that did the trick. So far the product is showing the correct number of days and 2014 as the expiration date.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

How weird, but glad it's OK now.

All the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community