cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jvjhe
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Phone Scam - Remote Computer Access

I purchased a new Dell computer last week, running Windows 8 software.  Sometime during the day of setup I remember a dialog box coming up that said something was "Not Responding", I was surprised that I would already receive this type of message but I just clicked "Cancel" and forgot about it.  The next day I received a phone call from an Unknown Number with a person stating they were tech support and they had received error messages from my computer.  I usually either don't answer these calls or hang up but for some reason I didn't that day.  He asked me to go to my computer and hit the windows and r button at the same time.  When the run box opened I was supposed to type in a website address and click open. The caller spoke in a foreign voice and I had a hard time understanding him so I think I typed the address in wrong.  In the Run box I keyed something similar to "decinline.com" or "dexinline.com", I can't remember.  Now, I cannot believe that I was even still listening to him but I typed in this address and clicked OK.  This opened up my Internet Explorer and took me to Google because it said the website address was not found.  Thankfully, since I had a hard time understanding him I typed something wrong.  Since it was taking me longer than what he thought it should to get to this website he said your computer must be running a lot of viruses.  FINALLY, a red flag went off!  I said I just bought this computer yesterday, to which he was unresponsive.  I then told him I had to go and he tried to keep me on the line.  I did not answer any more of his questions and just sat there quietly to see if he would say anything else to help me identify where he was calling from and then he finally hung up. 

I feel so stupid now that I was even willing to go to that website.  I did not give him any personal information or even make it to the website I think he was trying to get me to visit.  After researching it some I think he was trying to get me to visit "techinline.com" (I guess it should have been a "t" instead of "d").  I do not fully understand everything concerning viruses, firewalls and malware so now I am still somewhat concerned.  My trial version of McAfee Security Adviser was running and I assume my computer was protected.  After looking in control panel there was a check mark allowing remote access to my computer, so now I am a little worried.  Could this caller gain access to my computer without me giving him permission or doing anything?  Since a scan of my computer said there was no threat, should I still need to be concerned about this? Was he able to see where I was going on the Internet in the first place or did he get my number from some calling list (even though my number is registered with the national do-not-call list)?

I have definately learned my lesson about talking to any of these unsoliciated callers.  Any help or advice on this situation would be appreciated.  Thanks!

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone Scam - Remote Computer Access

These people are scam artists and are calling from overseas.   Never, ever do anything they suggest, just hang up and, if you have Call Screen, block their number from calling you again.

I doubt very much that the error on the machine had anything to do with them as those sorts of things are pretty common and usually the result of something taking too long to start up.

The call was, I am sure, pure coincidence. 

Uncheck the remote access.

As a precaution I would change all passwords.  Also check for unwanted programs in Control Panel and your bowser add-ons and get rid of any that are strange.

That "Do-Not_Call" list can only go so far in preventing unwanted calls, overseas callers aren't governed by state and federal laws.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/02/14 10:39:58 EST AM
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

Hi jvjhe,

I would go with Peter's suggestion of disabling the Remote Access since it is used only on Business environments where a number of PC's are connected over the Network.

If you see any suspicious activity go ahead and start windows in Safe mode with Networking Download and Run Online Scanners such as Getsusp , Stinger , Windows Online Scanner to make sure everything is fine..!

ttomm1946
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

they can barely speak english....I told him to go %^^%^&&^^ himself.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

I usually tell them they've reached the Police and how can I help them...they hang up pretty quickly at that point.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community