cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whites2010
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

PC freezes on connecting to internet router - McAfee Total Protection 2010

I installed mcafee total protection 2010 yesterday, upon rebooting my machine the computer boots fine but about 20 seconds after logging in the whole PC freezes, no mouse movement, keyboard response, screen update.  I have found this is something due to network connection as when i boot unconnected - it works fine, as soon as i connect the network it freezes - this happens 100% of times.

I uninstalled the program with mcafee removal tool, rebooted, install pre-installer software, rebooted and reinstalled total protection 2010 twice, each time the same fault.

I've contacted mcafee live chat where they told me to try resetting settings to default - didn't fix it, then told me to turn off firewall - also didn't fix it.  They then said it was obviously not due to mcafee product, however, if i uninstall total protection, the internet works fine.

If i disconnect the cable after the PC freezes, it does not unfreeze.

Windows 7

2Gb Ram

Connected via CAT 5 network cable to broadband router (provided by broadband supplier)

2 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: PC freezes on connecting to internet router - McAfee Total Protection 2010

Hi

Can you please clarify and follow the steps suggested bellow,

Did you made any recent change you made to the computer? Did you have any other security software apart from McAfee in the computer?  Did you notice any specific site or browser activity freezes computer?  

Steps:

Try to disable the McAfee product and check status

Click on start Run -> Type Msconfig -> Click on Service tab – uncheck the McAfee services and restart the computer. Check if the issue persists. If yes,

then try to disable the other service from the system configuration utility Note: checking the box hide all Microsoft services restart the computer

Let us know the outcome ..

whites2010
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: PC freezes on connecting to internet router - McAfee Total Protection 2010

Hi Bala,

The only change i have recently made to my computer was to install the Mcafee total Protection suite.  I previously used Mcafee virus protection that was included in my broadband package, but this was properly uninstalled prior to installing total protection.  Windows firewall was switched on, but after installing total protection mcafee managed the firewall and disabled it automatically.

I have already tried disabling services via msconfig, but i did not disable mcafee yet as it seems a little pointless in terms of determining what the fault is if you don't start the services in the first place.

I thank you for taking the time to reply to me but i have decided that the software doesn't perform as intended and i cannot be without protection or internet access for any longer waiting for a solution.  I have decided to return the software and go with AVG in the mean time

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community